We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

casa del mar or berjaya

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
casa del mar or berjaya

Hi

we are trying to decide if we should spend AUD 2230 for 5 nights at CDM or 1700 at Berjaya.

We want something nice but not out of the way so we can go and do things if needed- easily.

We want to do some island hopping, try a few other places eating wise on the island.

Is CDM more in or near some other things to do ?

I would rather not hire a car, but if we have too then would probably do from the hotel.

Does anyone know if there is another accom option I have missed which is central but quiet and refined ??

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Casa del mar is at Pantai Cenang which is the busiest strip in Langkawi - therefore has the best selection of eating/drinking options. Much more 'in the thick of it' than Berjaya which is at the end of a road - not far from the cable car. Really need a car to get around from Berjaya or hire taxi at times.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hi

Myself and wife stayed at both places - during our week long stay in Langkawi back in Feb2012. We had rented a car from the airport itself and returned it on our departure.

My suggestion would be CDM - we hardly used our car during this stay - as everything is so close and within walking distance - 10-20 minutes.

But while staying at Berjaya - we had to use the car for every trip outside of the hotel - as it is quite remote. But still very easy and enjoyable - as it is a very small island.

While at CDM - go for the evening cruise. And if you are there on a Tuesday - join Tom (the GM of the hotel) and all guests for drinks on the house - a very lively event !

Hope this helps.

Have fun !

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hi

Both are lovely hotels but it depends what you want from your holiday.

Berjaya is a really unique place as it is built in the rainforest and is teeming with wildlife and has stunning views and a beautiful beach whereas Casa del Mar is built in the main tourist area of the island and you could litterally be in any small town in SE Asia.

Casa is a small boutique resort with around 35 rooms whereas Berjaya is huge and covers around 70 acres of land but still has a very private feel to it because of the way the chalets are located.

Hope this helps.

Lesley

Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hi. We have stayed at both of these and you cannot go wrong with either. We love both for their different styles. The Berjaya is not small by any means and depending when you are going as to how busy. Stayed twice here in April this year - it was lovely and quiet. Had no problems dining or getting a lounger by the pool, also stayed there the month of September a couple of years ago and it was busier. You can walk to Oriental Village and also to Telega Harbour for other restauants..

Casa Del Mar is also fantastic for the more personal touches. In fact we are going back there next April. Here you can walk along the beach to other restaurants and bars. Although we thnk CDM has the best restaurant and beach. No matter which one you choose you are sure to enjoy it.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Thanks for the replies

So, in terms of things to do from Berjaya- its more limited. We want to have some flexibility with eating out- not just at one place 10 times. ..!

We want to be able to walk to a few places. Not so interested in wild nightlife anymore..just nice meals.

Im guessing though that at Casa we wouls still mayeb hire a car if we wanted to do a few drives/tours ? I would like to do the island hopping tour.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hi

As you are hiring a car you will have all the flexibility you need to get around.

Berjaya has 5 in-house restaurants all serving different types of food so you would hardly be eating the same thing or at the same place 10 times in a row.

At neither place will you find "wild nightlife" - all very laid back so that should suit you down to the ground.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

personally, i love the berjaya for the night wildlife. [not interested in the wild nightlife....]

on the face of it, if cdm is in budget, it is the better choice. but do read the o.p. of this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298283-i8829-k5…

pam

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hello again:

Looks like you are leaning towards CDM - a few points:

1. Their evening cruise is supposed to be great - but needs minimum 4 guests. We missed this - as during our 4 day stay - another 2 guests ready for this cruise could not be found! Disappointing for us.

SEE

casadelmar-langkawi.com/…contentstart

2. Tue evenings they have drinks on the house - with all guests etc - plenty of fun. Not to be missed.

3. Their DVD collection is also very good - if you just want to relax etc. Spa also nice - the CDM T-shirts at RM50 are a good buy ! Being a very small resort - everything is within 5mins walk !

4. Lobby is very small - almost non existent. But you can walk in to the next door Meritus Pelangi Resort - enormous and excellent lobby - especially in the evenings ! Great bar and choice of drinks.

5. Great choice of restaurants within 15mins walk - Mexican, Italian, Indian, American, etc.

If you do stay here - you will definitely enjoy the stay - in my opinion. But do consider renting a car for a day and drive around. The Aussie license is accepted and they drive on the same side of the road as Australia.

Have fun !

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

Hello again:

Just curious about your package - it works out to > RM 1500 per night - am I right?

We paid RM930 (incl B/F, but no other meals) - which was in Feb2012 and peak season.

Or am I missing something here? Maybe you are coming during the very busy and expensive x'mas new year time?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,995 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: casa del mar or berjaya

yes, we are coming over New Year , which makes travel very expensive, alas we have no other options.

I love asian food, so we are not so interested in eating western cusines!

If we do hire a car, we would maybe do one or two days at max. We want a place where we can get out easily.

Years ago we stayed in Lovina, Bali in a place out of town and it was a 15min ride anywhere which frustrated us as there was nothing else to do at the hotel.