We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian drivers in Langkawi

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Australian drivers in Langkawi

Hi Everyone,

This is for Australians going to Langkawi. I have read a few posts regarding Drivers Permits in Langkawi. I phoned NRMA in NSW Australia who issue these for NSW. YOU DEFINATELY DO NEED A PERMIT FOR LANGKAWI. Cost $39.

Cheers Wendy

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

Ok tq

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

Hi Wendy

Thanks for this information. It is always good to know as many people ask about driving and really it is a hard question to answer because every countries rules are different.

Lesley

Australia
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

That may not be 100% it's not NRMA or say RAA here that advises you if you require it but the Foreign mission you are visiting this is on the smarts traveller site - ( my understanding is that IDP is for countries who need your drivers license interpreted).

smartraveller.gov.au/tips/road-travel.html

International Driving Permits

Many countries require Australians to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to a valid Australian driving licence to legally drive a car, or ride a motorbike. An IDP is a widely recognised document that can be issued by associated members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA). Before driving overseas, Australians should contact the appropriate foreign mission in Australia for information on drivers licence requirements.

Ensure the IDP allows you to drive or ride the vehicles you intend to use. Some insurance policies will not cover you if you have an accident using a vehicle you are not licensed to drive.

IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs. To obtain an International Driving Permit, please contact the relevant IDP authority in your state:

New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory — NRMA Motoring and Services

Queensland — RACQ Ltd.(Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Limited)

Victoria — RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria)

South Australia — RAA (Royal Automobile Association of South Australia, Inc)

Western Australia — RAC (Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia (Incorporated)

Tasmania — RACT (Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania Limited)

Northern Territory — AANT (Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc), phone: (08) 8981 3837

**only thing I would maybe does check with my insurance company to make sure they cover me

Edited: 24 September 2012, 14:24
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

Hi Jacks

Thanks for the very informative post.

As we do keep saying on here, it is best to check with your own country and to check with your own motor insurer as to best cover.

Lesley

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

This is copied from the web page of The High Commission of Malaysia, Canberra (Malaysian Embassy in Australia):

Can I drive in Malaysia?

Answer. Yes, Australian travelers must first obtain an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) to drive or ride a motorbike in Malaysia. The IDP is not a driver’s licence; you must also carry your full driver’s license as well.

Only a full-licensed holder aged 18 and above can apply for an IDP. Probationary license holders are not allowed to drive in Malaysia.

Application should be made in Australia prior to travelling to Malaysia and can be made at your local state motoring associations http://www.aaa.asn.au/about/members.htm

Traffic in Malaysia moves on the left side of the road which is the same in Australia. However, both right hand and left hand drive cars may be driven on Malaysian roads. There are many excellent highways and toll roads and traffic regulations that are similar to those in Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

This subject not only here on this forum but others ..is becoming boring and so much INCORRECT info..just read the terms and conditions of the rental agreement ..and if you use a company such as Kasina in Langkawi ...Penang or KL..or anywhere in Malaysia you DO NOT need an international drivers llcence

I have been visiting Malaysia for the past 20 years ..every year..and on a few occassions have been invloved in some minor accidents where the police attended and on production of my aussie licence and rental agreement ..there has NEVER been a problem

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

In actual fact I do not find this subject boring, as I am sure many others do not.

The Malaysian Embassy in Canberra answered my email enquiry regarding the necessity of an International Drivers Licence in Malaysia, and advised that it is necessary for insurance purposes. I think I would rather purchase one for the $39, as they advised, than take any risks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

well loopy_lou..after visiting Malaysia every year for the past 20 years ..I have never been required to have an IDL ..I have been stopped by police on occassions..produced my Australian Licence and Passport and no problems.

Rental Car Agreement does not require and I am always covered by Travel Insurance

An IDL does provide you with any extra protection..and tells you nothing about local traffic laws

If it was madatory to have then Rental Car Companies would be forced to insist

My comment re ..boring ....was directed towards the fact that this question keeps getting raised continually ..when a search through posting will find the answer

Edited: 26 September 2012, 09:00
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

allow me to add the following which may assist in making this a little more clearer.....if you hold a valid Australian driving licence that is in English ..which they are...you can drive and rent a car in Malaysia on such licence for a period of three months ..you do not need an IDL

However if your licence is in non-roman alphabet then yes you need an IDL

As Australian drivers licence do not fall into this area you are okay

This rule applies and is accepted by Avis ....Budget ...Hertz...New Bob..Europcar....Hawk...Kasina..to name a few

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian drivers in Langkawi

Oh dear, perhaps you had better let the Malaysian Embassy in Canberra know that they are giving out incorrect information on their website and via email ;)