We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rental

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter rental

how much does a scooter cost to rent? can they usually take 2 persons? do you need a full licence or is an Australian Provincial Licence OK?

57 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rental

Hi

Yes, scooters normally take two persons and you will need a full driving licence to hire one. Cost will depend upon where you hire from.

Do be careful riding one of these. Lots of accidents happen with these things and please make sure you wear the helmet. It is now the law to wear one but many of the locals still do not!

Lesley

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rental

Hi

Should cost around RM25 - RM30 per day.

Mick

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter rental

Australian Provincial Licence is OK to rent one.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter rental

thank you everyone for your replies

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter rental

Make sure your Australian Travel Insurance cover motor cycle hire.

Often it does not. Personally I would stick to a taxi.

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter rental

Stayed at the Berjaya and rented scooter outside the hotel. The rate at the hotel was 55 ringit per day. The rate outside the hotel was 25 - 40 ringit depending number of days. We rented 2 scooters for 6 days for 150 ringit.

The place to rent it was 20 min walk from the Berjaya hotel close to the entrance to the Mutiara hotel. There are actually 2 moped rentals there and some small local lunch restaurants with OK food.

Exact location is the intersection of roads 113 and 272, named Jalan Telok Burau and Jalan Telaga Tujuh.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter rental

thanks for the feed back and glad all went well.

Hope your enjoyed Langkawi...we will be there in 2 weks time

cheers

Cockfield, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter rental

Just gave ours back. Rented from T shop. 66 ringints for 2 days. 8 ringits a day for full insurance, why not. 50rm deposit. Did not have to leave credit card or passport. Cheap. Fuel cost nxt to nothing too. Nowhere near as crazy driving as penang. Also they have several shops. My headlight stopped working on the other side of the island, just went to local shop an swapped it, no probs.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter rental

Christoper B, can you pinpoin the location to rent the scooter?

Down Under
Level Contributor
648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter rental

I know T Shoppe have a scooter rental place opposite the Holiday Villa, this is where we hire from.

I suggest you read your insurance policy, but just remember when they talk about motorbikes they mean "motorbikes", not scooters. I would check with your Insurance Company directly to see if you are covered. We are covered for anything under a 500cc motorbike.

A good tip when we first hired was from a poster who said to watch out for the speed bumps, they are normally not painted white so you can't see them very well, you would not want to hit one at high speed. They are normally along the more populated stretches of beach like Pantai Cenang and such.

Reply to: Scooter rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted