We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

I have a limited amount in Langkawi (approx. 36 hours) of which a few hours will be taken up with an island cruise.

Love to generally explore and take pictures (not so much into museums etc) and with this in mind I have put together a little itinerary for a drive/ride around the island (not exactly at a laid back pace!)

Day 1

Arrive in Langkawi around 1200 hours

Pick up rental vehicle around 1300 hours from Cenang beach area

Drive past the airport to Pantai Kok, the Oriental Village and the 7 wells waterfalls – with quick stops at each place

Back to Jalan Teluk Yu – head for Temarun Waterfall and Datai Bay – quick stops at each place

Back to Jalan Teluk Yu – head for Black Sand and Tanjung Rhu beaches – quick stops at each place

Drive up to Gunung Raya and get there before sunset – i.e. by 1800 hours.. where the views are supposed to be fantastic

Day 2

Leave 1000 hours from Cenang Beach

Drive south down to Pantai Tengah for a look around

Take the backroads past Kuah town to Jalan Air Hangat – stop at a few places along the way to take pics.

Continue on to Jalan Teluk Yu and return to Cenang beach by 1300 hours – then proceed to island cruise.

Would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on whether this is doable, if there is anything I should add/ remove/change and some pointers on good spots for taking pictures in general.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Pantai Kok
Pantai Kok
Langkawi, Malaysia
Oriental Village
Oriental Village
565 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Tanjung Rhu
Tanjung Rhu
Langkawi, Malaysia
Gunung Raya
Gunung Raya
423 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Pantai Tengah
Pantai Tengah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Kuah
Kuah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Hi

Your itinerary looks good - get your running shoes on lol.

As it is the dry season the waterfalls may not be at their best with very little water, so you could perhaps give these a miss.

Enjoy

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

the 'wells' at seven wells are a good twenty-minute climb for a young, fit adult. if you want to 'do' the cable-car, allow about an hour and a half, depending on time of day and length of queue.

i prefer durian falls to temuran - but that's just me. but at least at temuran you can see everything after a two minute climb from the car-park.

there are some good places for 'arty' atmospheric photos around the fishing pier at black sands beach. be careful about including local children in your shots, however, since the parents can take offence. ask adult permission or don't take the pictures please.

coming down gunung raya between 6 and 7 pm [roughly], you may be lucky enough to see great hornbills feeding in trees quite near to the road. their numbers are not so great recently, since they have been attacked by poachers, so you may not see them.

have fun!

pam

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Thanks Pam, Thanks Lesley,

Useful advice indeed !!

I have some ideas now on how to plan this a little better.

Cheers

Roland

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Check that your hire car company will allow you to drive up Gunung Raya.

Mentioned in this post
Gunung Raya
Gunung Raya
423 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

i hadn't heard that one, rawtalent, until you mentioned it a while ago. was it just one company with this restriction, or is it common? do you know?

pam

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Dear Roland,

I can't see when you are coming but at certain time of the year the waterfalls are dry and you might opt for something else here.

If I would be you I would go at least for one boat tour. Langkawi's real beauty as I see it, is on the water. The untouched outer islands should be seen. The cheapest is island hopping for some 35 RM.

Gunung Raya is indeed a high light if not in clouds.

Rawtalent is correct, I had problems with one taxi; they are scared of the gosts, believe it or not.

But just don't tell them. The insurance would cover....

Eva

Mentioned in this post
Gunung Raya
Gunung Raya
423 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Hi Pam

We hired from T-Shoppe- It was on the written info. Someone else staying at the same time had the same stipulation from another company.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 11:11
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Dear Eva

Thanks for the advice. Given what I have been reading I think I may skip the drive to the top of Gunung Raya – seems challenging given the short time frame, and to me if some car hire firms prohibit it there are probably some inherent risks involved (besides the odd ghost!) I may opt for the cable car ride instead and the island tour is already on the cards.

Will be in Langkawi next weekend (i.e. dry season) so I guess the waterfalls can also be given a miss if time is short.

All this works actually works well as I was looking to eliminate some stops so that I can do the drive at a more relaxed pace…

Thanks all for the pointers and advice!

Roland

Mentioned in this post
Gunung Raya
Gunung Raya
423 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

gunung raya is the whole point of the trip for me, in some ways. there is nothing inherently wrong with the road up there, though occasionally there are landslips and rock falls.

it does seem a little over 'risk-averse' of these companies... in my opinion, there is more likelihood of damage to the car in p.cenang [from other drivers] and almost everywhere else [from free-ranging cows].

pam

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on my planned stops driving around the island

Information on decent 3 or 4 star Places to Stay, ways to travel and Things to do while in Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi and Singapore.

Hi, my wife and I are planning an 8-9 days trip with 3 nights at Langkawi, 4-5 nights at Singapore and 1-2 nights at KL. Some suggestions please.

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia