We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards-safe?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards-safe?

Hi,

Happened to read that Malaysia is the last place you would wanna use your credit card in asia!

How safe is Langkawi? Thinking of exchanging some money this week if swiping the card at most places(other than the hotel and reputed restaurants) isnt advisable.

Thanks!

Aishu

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Just tell your bank you're travelling to Malaysia so they won't block your card (oh and this advice is not only for Malaysia but also if you're travelling ANYWHERE in the world!!). And yes, your c/c is safe. If you're so paranoid, you won't be travelling very much .....

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Hi,

Thanks ! My card is valid for all international transactions .. And I use it frequently as well .. Am not being paranoid just wanna make sure its okay ..better safe than sorry and have a bad holiday ..

Cheers!

Aishu

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Your card may be valid for " international transactions" but you should still inform your card issuer/bank of your travel dates and destinations..

Any unusual transactions will flag your card

Helsinki
Level Contributor
584 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards-safe?

My credit card was copied during my first trip to Langkawi in 2001 and I still use cash only except for shops and restaurants where I know the owner personally. Maybe I'm paranoid since that happened long ago and the new chip cards are supposed to be safer but...

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Hi

Yeah, Rawtalent is correct.

On one of my visits I "forgot" to inform my bank and both my credit and debit cards were blocked when I tried to use them!!! It cost me several expensive calls to the UK to get them unblocked so I could get some money and all because I could not be bothered to queue in my bank to do this simple process.

Lesley

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Thanks everyone for all your valuable information .. Will keep them in mind .

Cheers!

Aishu

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit cards-safe?

do be aware - credit cards are not as widely accepted in langkawi as they are in singapore. no use in taxis, for instance. so you will need to have a certain amount of cash...

pam

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
506 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Hi there, Have been using our credit cards in Langkawi for over 12 years and have never had a problem...BUT..we always let our bank know that we are going away and will be using it in other countries. They appreciate the "heads up" as it helps them as well as you.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi, Kedah...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit cards-safe?

CC is not safe few years ago in most of place in Malaysia but now it is safe but you need info your bankk or merchants .

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
888 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit cards-safe?

Reinforcing other good advice...just give your bank a call. Better safe than sorry.

I think I only used my credit card once during our recent stay, and that was when settling our account at the end of our stay at the hotel.

Other than that, I made a couple of cash withdrawals at the new ATM inside Cenang Mall to enable me to pay for everything in cash.

Keeping in mind that most things, including food, drinks etc are quite cheap in Langkawi, there is no real need to use your cc.

A number of places don't accept them anyway, for example it is cash only at the Cable Car.

This is probably one of the few travel destinations remaining where cash remains King!

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Cenang Mall
Cenang Mall
463 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi