We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

Hi there!

My wife and will travel to Malaysia in Nove.2013- mainly interested in culture, nature, museums, good food etc., but before we leave after 3 weeks in the country - we would like to spent a couple of days at the beach - just relaxing, swimming, walking - stuff like that.

Have been thinking of Pulau Pangkor, but read in TA - that it is a small island - only with resort ( which we don´t like - sorry) and very little choice of restaurants - but the "best" beaches in Malaysia.

Any one who can give a tip or two.

I thank you very much

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

whilst the sea is not great for swimming ..and advise you do not ..and stay to the hotel pool ...my suggestion would be Penang

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

Hi roostown,

Thanks for the info - you suggest Penang allthoug there are jellyfish and that the water is not recommended for swimming?

- and you are right - hotel swimmingpool is not an option

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

I suggested Penang as an option to consider ..the waters in Langkawi depending on the tidal flow can have jelly fish problems...many of the hotels in Penang have great pools where you can relax and still get sand between your toes..in addition to experiencing the best food in asia..you appear to have ruled out PP for reason you have mentioned ...and i agree with your thoughts on this..the beaches of Batu ferringhi and Tanjung Bungah will provide you with ..i think what you are looking for..with the exception of swimming in the sea...which i must say ..many do..but not something I have done in 25 years of traveling to Penang

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

Pangkor is not just resorts. You may be thinking of Pangkor Laut which is an island off of Pangkor- and very exclusive. On the main island there are many small independently run guest houses/hotels. Look at staying on the west side for nice beaches and swimming.

It's easy to get a bus from KL and then the ferry from Lumut to Pangkor.

There is a flight option from KL as well but they have strict luggage controls.

http://www.pangkor.com.my/

Edited: 15 February 2013, 11:30
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
343 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

Thank you both for these great informations. I will taker a closer look at both Penang and Pangkor.

I prefer the "ocean" - in stead of swimmingpools no matter how fancy they are, but ofcourse i would not like to be stung of a jellyfish - again. Once tried in Baja California.

Thank you

Langkawi, Kedah...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

HI , My suggestion that yo better visit Langkawi , a great place for vacation compare to Penang and Pangkor .

Penang is becoming to busy for toust to visit but it is heaven for food.

7. Re: Langkawi or Pulau Pangkor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:17