We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Mif
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Does anyone know if the MBB is going to close for refurbishment, and if so, when?? We stayed there last year and loved the location but the hotel itself was in desperate need of work. We were told it would be closing but I see that there have been some new reviews posted so it must still be operating.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi

The Mutiara closed on 31 January so any new reviews must be from a past stay.

Yes, the location is very beautiful but sadly, now the developers have got their hands on it, it will never be the same and the whole of that wonderful area will be changed and not for the better I am thinking.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

to be clear - it is not closed for refurbishment. a completely new resort is to be built.

Mif
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Thank you both - how interesting. Any idea who is developing it and how long it will take? I see that the Mutiara brand has some swish resorts elsewhere so wonder if it will still be a Mutiara property.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Hi

No it is not a Mutiara property........!!!!!

Lesley

Mif
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Have just found the answer to my own question by Googling 'Burau Bay development.! You are right - there will be massive changes.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Yeah right...... nightmare....

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

well now. i obviously have too much time on my hands. but here's what i found out from my friend mr google...

the company behind the development is syarikat benua mahsuri sdn bhd which is a subsiderary of tradewinds corporation berhad which owns the mutiara hotels in malaysia. guess what. it also owns the meritus pelangi beach resort. i can't find any detail about the ownership of the danna, but the same company was, i believe, involved in the development of telaga harbour. here is some detail of the plans

lada.gov.my/v2/en/information/news/55-catego…

and some of the other things they are doing

theedgemalaysia.com/in-the-financial-daily/2…

either way - the face of burau bay is changing.

Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Will Burau Bay beach still be good to visit or is it impossible to spend some quiet hours there (due to construction works etc.)?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,368 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

I am hoping so, I will be spending a couple of months sitting there very shortly Perhaps I should take my ear plugs with me.

On a different note, things do not move very quickly in Malaysia. Could be a good while before anything gets going. Fingers crossed for that.

Lesley

Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel

Fingers crossed indeed. Do let us know when you get there. Is there any other beach worth visiting in that area?