We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangrove tours

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mangrove tours

We're going for our third visit to Langkawi in April. One of the things we'd like to do is a boat ride through the mangroves, but from what I've read there are quite a lot of companies that aren't exactly eco-friendly. Can anyone recommend a reputable operator that doesn't go in for eagle-feeding, etc? Thanks!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,189 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mangrove tours

There are several eco friendly companies about. We went direct to the jetty as we hired a driver for the day and just went on one of the regular boats and tours and really no guide was required. Eagle feeding is now just eagle watching.

Here is my review:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,112 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mangrove tours

Hi

One of the best companies to do this tour with is Dev's Adventures. They are very eco-friendly and do not feed any of the wildlife around in the mangroves.

The guides are all very knowledgeable about the mangrove area and Langkawi in general and you will have an amazing time.

Check out their website www.langkawi-nature.com

Lesley

Argenton-sur-Creuse...
Level Contributor
84 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mangrove tours

You can go with either Dev's tours or Junglewalla. Both have knowledgeable and enthusiastic guides. They all are naturalists and passionate about Langkawi and any tour I've done with them has been great.

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mangrove tours

Thanks for the replies. Dev's Tours sounds familiar and I think I had a look at them last time we were in Langkawi, but never got around to doing the tour, so I think that's who we'll go with.

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mangrove tours

Hi

Just to add to Preston Travellers post, although the signs at Kilim River have now all been changed so that only eagle watching is available, some of the operators are still feeding the eagles. I don't know what the operators from Tanjung Rhu area are doing but would suspect that it is something similar.

Also, if you have no guide you will miss so much as the guides are very enthusiastic about their subject i.e. nature in all of its forms & you will get so much more out of the tour if you do go with either Junglewallah or Dev's Adventures.

We are currently in Langkawi on our 10th visit & try to get out with Dev's Adventure tours every time as we learn something new & see something different each time we go out

Mick

Edited: 08 March 2013, 23:41
Stockport
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mangrove tours

Thanks Mick. We don't generally go in for organised tours as we have an aversion to being taken to so-called places of interest where the only purpose seems to be to sell the tourists as many souvenirs as possible! However, we know from past experiences in Sabah that when it comes to spotting and identifying local wildlife, a good knowledgeable guide is well worth seeking out as they can make all the difference to what you see and get out of a nature tour.

7. Re: Mangrove tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 05:15