We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Hat Yai, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Hi all,

I'm about to set off to do some solo travelling around South East Asia. My first stop is Langkawi and I want to stay in a social dormitory where I can meet people and do as much as possible on Langkawi. Can anyone recommend me anywhere? I'm currently looking at the Gecko Guesthouse. It's pretty budget, I think I could splash out a little more myself but I can't find many dormitory type accommodation places in Cenang.

Also, could someone suggest any backpacker hotspots in Malaysia to visit? I've been to Penang before so I think i'll leave that out, but I'm looking at going to Kuala Lumpur and then taking it from there. Any general Malaysia tips and advice are much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Just come back up to the road and turn left. Rainbow Lodge is around 200m further along. Dorm is around RM18 . They've a great common area, so you'll soon get talking to people.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 10:56
Helsinki
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

I remember seeing something called Monkey Hut next to Sunset Beach Resort's parking lot with a sign: "Cheap dorm room".

Hat Yai, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Thanks for the responses so far. I think I'm just gonna turn up and go for a wander..

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Hi Sorry, misread your post and thought you were already at Gecko!!

Here's Rainbow Lodges website www.rainbowlangkawi.com

We always stay here - but not in a dorm. . Last July a double fan room for single occupancy was RM 30 per night.. Depending on your length of stay you can negotiate the price down.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

Steve, there are a slew of places throughout Pantai Cenang now. If you find the afor mentioned full...pasted Geckos there is a nice family run 'homestay' at the end of the road...and up across the street from The Cabin is Rumours Guest house...AND! across from Underwater World...down the road across the street is Tok Guest House (end of road)..all super conveniently located...

6. Re: Backpacker dorm in Cenang, Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 05:16