We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Channel Islands
11 posts
Save Topic
Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Having tried to book other hotels in langkawi, we are now booked into the Berjaja, It looked good, until I read the reports here.

I've read that Jalan 2 is the best place to stay if we can get in, I've booked a deluxe sea facing chalet, is there any better apart from the ones on the water.

Can someone advise me, or shall I cancel and bail out.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Hi

If I may ask - what are you bailing out from??

If there is one thing that I have learnt from this forum is that you can't please all of the people all of the time. Yes the Berjaya has received some not so good reviews but so have most if not all of the other hotels.

I am going back once again to the Berjaya in June having had a wonderful holiday last year.

It is not a 5 star hotel and does not market itself as such and yes you will find the odd bug but I am sure you will have a great time if you go there.

If you do have a problem with anything just ask the really great staff and they will assist you with a smile.

Enjoy

Hansie

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Hi

Yes, I second what Hansie says. I am returning to the Berjaya later this year - this will be my 5th visit there.

The chalets on Jalan 2 are no better or worse than others apart from the over water ones which are much more expensive. My chalet was on Jalan 2 last year and whilst it was quite convenient to get to the main part of the hotel/ beach/ restaurants/pool etc, I found that on a night it was quite noisy with the sound of the singer up in the Lobby Lounge and the noise from the group at the Seashell Bar at the Mutiari.

If you let me know what your concerns about the Berjaya are, I will try to set your mind at rest.

Lesley

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

I liked the Berjaya. I stayed in Chalet 2161 which is at the end of Jalan 2. I loved this position because the chalet was off the road. You couldn't see the road and you didn't have the shuttle bus running past it frequently. Also, it was a stand-alone chalet with a great balcony looking towards the sea. I stayed there for 5 days - never saw any monkeys near the room, but saw some around the pool at dusk.

There were lots of things that I loved about the Berjaya. I quite enjoyed the swimming pool area and loved the beach. The negatives for me was its size. After staying at Casa del Mar I'm inclined to go for smaller places now. At Berjaya, it was sometimes hard to get a recliner around the pool, a long queue to get checked in, a long queue to get an egg at breakfast and so on. This is the nature of resorts. Nothing to do with Berjaya.

I certainly wouldn't worry about going to Berjaya. Look forward to it and enjoy it. I'm envious. I chose the Berjaya because of the jungly atmosphere and wasn't disappointed. Have a drink by the water and watch the sun go down. You'll wonder why you ever worried.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Hi yoda007,

Further to Lesley and Bayes replies I'd also like to confirm with you that The Berjaya Beach & Spa Resort is a rather special little area in Langkawi.

Firstly you will have a private beach, secondly it is surrounded by mountainous jungle, and thirdly you'd miss out on something that is considered fairly unique if you bailed out.

What I would like to know is, if you don't mind, where you would choose as an alternative, we have many classes of resort here but I don't think you would be to put off coming to Langkawi with most of them.

High end and low end, they are all here, the Berjaya is very comfortable.

Stop worrying, come to Langkawi, enjoy the Berjaya, you will leave with happy memories, arrive with that in mind. PLEASE !

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

Sorry, also meant to say that the sound of the sea washing around underneath you room is a very short term novelty, thats if you enjoy your sleep. Stay with the land side of the resort, unless your a yachty.

6. Re: Help - I'am staying at the berjaja!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 14:17