We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some questions

Cairo, Egypt
5 posts
Save Topic
some questions

i am planning to stay for 3 nights at mertius and 5 nights at berjaya

i am asking about rental a car from where ?? for how much??

are mertius and berjaya good or not??

i want to know places to get breakfast and dinner at low cost and around the resorts i am talking about ??? and how much it will cost to have a dinner for 2 persons ??

where could i go to have fun??

is kuah far away??

sorry for the many questions

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: some questions

Hi

Both Berjaya and Meritius are excellent hotels and both very different. Berjaya is built in the rainforest so there is lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Metitius is in the main tourist area of Pantai Cenang and so there are lots of restaurants, bars and shops in walking distance.

Depending on what you have for dinner, you are looking at something like 50RM upwards per person for a good meal in the hotels of your choice. If I were you I would book breakfast at Berjaya as there is nothing open for breakfast in that area. At Meritius, book without breakfast as there are lots of places.

Kuah Town is about a 45 min drive from both these hotels. There is not very much there and you could giv it a miss if you really wanted to.

There are loads of bars near Meritius where you can go to have fun on an evening. The Berjaya has the Lobby Lounge where there is a group playing every night.

Enjoy

Lesley

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: some questions

Oh and just a thought, if you are going to hire a car and your driving licence is in Arabic you will need an English translation of this.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some questions

Dear Yusif,

the cheapest meals are in the local restaurants. I never consume more than 10 RM for one meal incl. drink.

Right opposite of Meritus, a few meters down the road is an Indian Malay - damn cheap. Tomotoe Kandar is very popular. Buffet is great and cheap. Lots of options as long as you stay away from tourist-restaurants.

Oriental Village has a cheap food-stall with quite a good variety of food.

Eva

Cairo, Egypt
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: some questions

first of all many thanks for both of u :):) really i appreiate ur help alot :):)

about kuah : is it unique in anything or it is too far so i will miss it ??

about the car : hiring from the airport or from the hotel or from anywhere else would be better??

about having fun : sorry i dont go to bars because i am muslim so if there any suggetions for having muslim fun :D some peopleadvised me not to go for the activites that the hotel offers me beacuse it will be expinsive and they told me to go to any toursit agency at the airport and it would be better , is that true??

sorry for talking alot :):)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some questions

Hi

What tours do you want to do?? Some tours, like Dev's Adventures, give a small discount per person if you book direct with them via email or telephone.

For car hire, where are you staying first? Mertitius or Berjaya? If it is Meritius then you will probably not need to hire a car, most restaurants are in walking distance from this hotel. Berjaya is a bit more remote and you may want to hire a car for you stay here. However, taxis are very cheap and very reliable so it is up to you. You can hire a car at Berjaya or take a taxi back to the airport and hire from there.

Do remember that as you are from Egypt, if your driving licence is in Arabic then you will need to obtain an official English translation of this licence before you can hire a car.

A good percentage of Malaysian people are also Muslim so they do not drink alcohol but they still go in the bars and drink coffee/fruit juice and listen to the music.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: some questions

since you are a muslim - you will be able to drive out of the resort for your dinner without missing anything. [many non muslims like to drink alcohol with their dinner, and it is illegal to drive if you drink].

at telaga harbour, about 2 minutes drive, there is a variety of restaurants including an arab one called lebanon, where the food is very good and reasonably priced. overall, we found food cheaper at telaga than places on p.cenang [of a similar standard].

langkawi-info.com/attractions/telaga-harbour…

if you book direct, dev's adventure tours offer a discount for your second and subsequent tours.

http://www.langkawi-nature.com/

if your drivers' licence is not in english, you will need to obtain an international drivers' permit.

"If you live in Egypt and have an Egyptian driver's license and want to use it to drive in another country, you need an International Driver's Permit issued in Egypt.

To get the IDP, your Egyptian driver's license must still be good for at least a year. You have to take this license (no matter in what governorate it was issued) and your passport (doesn't matter what country the passport is from, dual citizens can use their foreign passport) to the traffic office next to Rabaa al-Adawiya Mosque in Medinet Nasr in Cairo.

At this office, you need to ask for the "letter for the international license." There is one room at this office where there are two guys whose sole job is to issue these letters. Give them your license and your passport and they will record its info in a book and give you a small slip of paper (the "letter") and tell you to take it down the hall to another office to have it sealed. All this is done free of charge and will take about 10-15 minutes.

Now you need to go to the office of the Egyptian Automobile and Touring Club. This is in downtown Cairo on Sharia Qasr al-Nil. It's about halfway between Midan Tahrir and Midan Talaat Harb, across the street from HSBC. You will see an archway leading into a courtyard. Go through the archway and enter the entrance on the left side of the courtyard and go to the second or third floor (depending on how you count!) and turn right (you will see a sign in English). The office is at the end of this hall.

They accept applications between 9:30 and 12:30. You will need to give them the letter, 2 personal photos, a photocopy of your driver's license, the original driver's license, your passport, and 40LE. They will give you an application to fill out in English and Arabic. If you are a dual citizen, you can put your foreign name on the English part so that what appears on the IDP matches your foreign identification rather than the official Egyptian name. I put the Egyptian name on the Arabic part and the American name on the English part.

They will hold on to your license while they process the paperwork, give you a receipt, and will tell you that it will be ready at 2pm. You will get back an IDP that is good for one year and they will have stapled (!?) your Egyptian license to the IDP.

If you time things properly, you could easily finish all this in less than 4 hours in a single day."

sorry for the cut and paste - unable to provide a link for this.

Cairo, Egypt
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: some questions

so about the taxi : from berjaya or metrius to kuah how much will it cost ?? and is there any malls or cheap cafes and resturants aorund berjaya and metrius so i will not need to go to kuah so i will not need a car????

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: some questions

Hi

From Berjaya into Kuah Town it will cost you around 36RM each way for a taxi and more than likely the same from the Pelangi.

There are lots of cheap restaurants in Pantai Cenang within walking distance of the Pelangi. At Berjaya there is the food court at the Oriental Village and one or two other restaurants there which are quite reasonable.

Telaga Harbour is 5 mins by taxi from Berjaya and there are several restaurants here. Taxi will cost 10RM each way.

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: some questions

Dear usif,

as for the fun-department:

pretty much all boat tours are fun - as I understand that you are on a budget, do the island hopping for some 35 RM. If you are fit enough, canopy walk is a thrill. Check out Pulau Tuba's activities.

Kuah is rather boring but if you are looking to buy chocolate, and maybe some more chocolate and luggage - this is the town:)

Eva

Cairo, Egypt
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: some questions

ok i got it :) i dont need to hire a car and i dont need to go KUAH beacuse around metrius there is alot of resturants and shops , and there is telaga harbour beside berjaya where i would find the resturants and shops :):)

really thanks all alot :):)