We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local drinks??

Dublin
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Local drinks??

Would tiger beer be the cheapest beer and what would be the cheapest drinks for girls?

I have heard the wine and food are very expensive, we are staying at the Datai and I dont want to run up a huge drinks bill too and also when out and about, would like to know what to order.

I like sweetish drinks by the way.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local drinks??

The Datai is also exepensive; i wonder if Langkawi has Kingfisher beer or Chang beer, which will be cheaper than Tiger beer.

It is cheap plonk you are going for?

Cheapest drink for you--buy a duty free liquor of your favourite and make your own cocktails; but never buy any cocktails or beer from your hotel or drink from the minibar.

Local drinks- air sirap, ice kacang, air cincau, tea tarik.

2. Re: Local drinks??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2006, 22:38
Langkawi
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local drinks??

Depending on where u plan to get your drink. The cheapest beer in town i think is Skol (RM1.30) right now. Next up would be Calsberg and Tiger (RM1.50).

You could go for Kampai, Vodka mixture which costs around RM5.00.

Otherwise a bottle of White Zinfandel Rose from California (RM19.00) is not bad a choice too.

Local drinks...Mmm...MKiaraTravel has given u some good suggestions.

Cheers

Level Contributor
2,306 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local drinks??

Alcohol in Langkawi is not too badly priced in comparison to the UK, it is the cheapest of all the Far East countries we have been to. Even in the 5* hotels it is reasonable. We went to the liquor shops and bought a decent bottle of wine for about £4.00 and had it in our room when we fancied a drink before dinner. Tiger Beer is really cheap in the shops also.

5. Re: Local drinks??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2006, 11:29
Dublin
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local drinks??

Thank you noodles and kwaisun by the way.

And if anyone just reading this thinks I was a little harsh it's because that is not the first of mkiara's catty comments.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Local drinks??

jules,

Top up the mini bar with your own drinks, thats what I do, it will save you a fortune. I was at the Park Royal 6 weeks ago (Penang), they wanted 40RM for a small can of beer. I could not believe it.

You can get 24 cans here in Langkawi for 27RM approx.

Don't get to peeved with mKiara, he does have some good info.

Have a great time at the Datai, wish we could join you there.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Local drinks??

You can buy bottles of wine in Kuah, there are loads of places.

Expect to pay 30RM upwards, usually the assie wines are good value.

Or buy what you like (sweetish) and make your own cocktails, take a couple of glasses from the Datai bar, just ask them.

Geneva
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Local drinks??

Eh! honestly if you can afford Datai why bothering how much cost a drink? If you go to such place and your are counting your $$$ you are going at the wrong place, honestly! If you can afford this hotel, just enjoy and don't count!

Dublin
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local drinks??

Hey Rob, glad to see you are still checking in on us, loved the way it seemed you could just drop everything and pop over to Bangkok for a week or three, a kind of freedom of life I've never had, hope you're enjoying yourself!

I know you're right about mkiara but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I should also admit that he was one of the people who told me before I booked for July that it justs rains for about an hour and then the sun comes back out and the rain is only a welcome relief from the heat, which I now know July can be a total washout! So I may have been holding him personally responsible for the weather too!!

Choc, I know the Datai is expensive, as are the flights, but it's a special occasion and I dont know many people who are lucky enough to have limitless funds. I don't intend to watch every penny but if we are going to spend a lot of our time in the Hotel due to rain I thought it would be nice to try some local drinks that I may really like and don't cost leave me with a scary bill on check out.

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi