We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Langkawi

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental in Langkawi

Possible for a driver with less than 1 yr of driving experience to rent a car and drive in Langkawi?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

experience is not an issue, as far as i know. but you must be over 21, and some companies charge extra if under 25 years old.

you do need a full driver's licence though. does singapore have 'new driver' licences? like 'p' plates or something? that might be a problem. try e-mailing one or two of the companies.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 18:05
Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

Thanks for your reply. I am way over 21 and above 25.

I have a driving licence but I got it for less than a year. we do not have a 'new driver' licence however, in Singapore, newly qualified drivers must display p plates while driving for a year (since the day we got our driving licence).

I have checked out a few of the company's website and found they do not rent car to drivers with less than a year of driving experience.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 18:20
Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

I heard that as long as I have a valid driving licence, they will allow me to rent their car in Langkawi. Is that true?

However, some of the car rental companies’ website stated clearly that drivers need to have at least one year of driving experience.

Please advise.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

just received a confirmation from one of the car rental companies in Langkawi that drivers with less than one year of driving experience are allowed to rent car from their company but gonna put p plate on the windscreen. phew~

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

thank you for letting us know. enjoy your trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

thank you :)

7. Re: Car Rental in Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19