We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Penang or Langkawi question....

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
346 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Another Penang or Langkawi question....

I will be in KL for 10 days and am planning a trip to one of the islands to celebrate my daughter's 20th birthday.

From memory (I've visited 12 years ago) and reading posts on this forum, Langkawi is the tropical island, nice beaches and very quiet. Penang was more like a little town near a beach to me but from friends I hear Penang is now more upcoming and has nice things to see and do.

I am looking for a resort hotel for 4 nights and narrowed it down to the Golden Sands at Penang or the Rebak Island resort at Langkawi/Rebak. I choose the GS because of its lagoon style pools and location near the pasar malam. I choose the Rebak Island resort because it is the only 4*hotel in my price range (under €150).

Most important for us is relaxing so at first I thought Rebak is the best. But I have to keep in mind it's the rainy season (will visit first week of November) and we like to do something if we cannot sunbath...

I am afraid if we choose Rebak and the weather is bad we will be stuck on the island because the boats probably won't bring us to Langkawi. So I am leaning more towards Penang but than again I know the beaches are much nicer at Langkawi.

Another question: will it be more convenient to fly Firefly instead of MAS because of its location in Subang? We are staying in KL Ampang area.

I am very interested in your opinion/experiences. Any advice is highly appreciated!

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

Dear Siskey,

you could manage Penang and Langkawi, I think. Penang indeed is worth a visit for it's heritage, markets and food. But 2 days is enough. But if I would have to choose only one of these islands for me it would be Langkawi. Nature is still beautiful although the island developed a lot. Rebak is certainly nice resort but remote by the means that you need the water taxi all the time. Alternatively check out Meritus Pelangi, Holiday Villa, Frangipani. A lot of new places were built within the last few years that I do not know. I guess the rainy season will kick in early this year. You will get rain but certainly not too much (fingers crossed!)

Re your flight: Yes, Subang and Firefly is convenient but I have done it once and never again. Just because the plane is small and they fly below the clouds. I hate it! Plus flying with MAS I always take the Express Train from KL Central and I love it. Hope this helps.

Eva

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
346 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

Dear Eva,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I just booked our MAS flights to Langkawi as we don't want to split our time in 2 islands. Fingers crossed for a little good weather....

I am stil doubting between Rebak and Pelangi but I think we will choose Rebak because it will spare us about €200, that's enough to cover food for 4 evenings at Rebak :-)

Most of the TA reviews are so wonderful re. Rebak.

thank you again, Ciskey

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

i am sure you will enjoy rebak. a word to the wise - if you like a drink in the evenings; stop off en-route to the jetty at one of the duty-free shops [the whole island is duty-free] - your taxi driver will know where - and pick up a bottle and some mixers/soft drinks.

rebak have some morning walks for guests, well worth checking out even if it is raining. hiring a car on the main island is a good, reasonably-priced, way to see the island.

alternatively, check out holiday villas and frangipani hotel, in case you would rather stay on the main island and have a choice of restaurants/bars. though actually, on my last trip, i found the better restaurants [those serving recognisable pieces of meat, rather than things chopped up in sauce] cost at least as much as eating in 4 and 5 star hotels.

finally - my own favourite resort is the berjaya. there you can have both a lovely beach and see something of the marvelous rainforest wildlife. food and beverage prices are reasonable, and there is a choice of eating places at telaga park, a short taxi ride away.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
346 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

Thank you for your advice pam_redboots. I just made reservations for the Rebak and we are looking forward to our trip to Langkawi!

1 question: do one of you also used the check in counter from Malaysia Airlines at KL Central? Is this available for all MAS fllghts? It sounds more convenient to check in at KL central instead of KLIA.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
346 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

Oh sorry for that last question I just read it is only for international flights or domestic without luggage. Guess I can only use it when I will be flying home to the Netherlands and not to Langkawi....

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

ciskey - you can do on-line check in up to 48 hours in advance, then use bag-drop desk at klia. note- airport check-in closes t-45 minutes, as does bag-drop. by then, you need to have COMPLETED your process, not just be standing in the queue.

the reason you cannot check-in domestic luggage in town is time. for international flights, the cut-off is 3 hours, which is plenty of time for them to get your luggage to the airport and loaded.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
346 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

Thanks Pam_redboots.

8. Re: Another Penang or Langkawi question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi