We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanjung sanctuary

Essex, England
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tanjung sanctuary

My boyfriend and I are looking to go to Langkawi in Feb 07 for about 2 1/2 weeks. We are looking for a quiet location with a nice beach where we can go snorkelling. The Sanctuary sounds like it could fit our requirements but we have a few questions.

Is there anything nearby in the way of restaurants/bars? If not, how easy is it to get to a little more 'action' and at what sort of cost?

We have read about the Oriental village. Is there much there for food and drink and how late is it open?

Are all the bungalows detached and can anyone recommend the best ones? We have looked at the honeymoon package (as it will be my birthday while we are out there) and wondered if anyone else has experienced it and has any comments?

Finally, is 2 1/2 weeks in that location too long and if so can anyone suggest where else we could go bearing in mind what we are looking for. We could stretch the budget a little but don't want to go too over the top. Ideally we would like a romantic location away from the family resorts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Hi Sarah

We have just spent a week in Langkawi - by no way experts, but had the most amazing time. We drove the island quite extensivey while there and had planned to stay at Tanjung Sanctury.

We ended up staying in a tree-house on the beach (literally!!) at Mali Best and after having a look at all options, were so glad we did!

It has an in-house restuarant, but we only ate there once. A two minute walk gave us the option of many places to eat and every evening from our balcony, we had the most amazing sunsets.....

We were due to move on to the Sanctuary after 4 days but decided to stay put.......we felt we had the best of all worlds.....the Sanctuary is a fair drive away from the general "village" and unless you hire a car for the full time, you are reliant on taxi's to get too and from anywhere.

But having said that, it looked beautifully peaceful and a co-traveller we spoke to who was staying there said the wildlife was awesome!

Maybe, as you are going to be there for a while, look at splitting your bookings and do both places?

UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

We stayed at the Tanjung Sanctuary in April, and absolutely loved it. The bungalows are semi detached, but soundproofing seemed excellent. The rooms are huge. We reckoned we could fit all four of our bedrooms at home into the floor space, and the bed was massive.

The beach is lovely, and usually deserted. You are unlikely to find any good snorkelling on the island though. The sea is very nice, but not clear. Most people take the day trip tp Pulau Payar, or Butang Island to snorkel. They are both excellent trips in their own ways.

But the joy of the Tanjung Sanctuary is its wildlife. We saw hummingbirds, hornbills, several types of monkey (they played in the sea below our balcony every afternoon) flying squirrels ( the most amazing creatures I've ever seen), monitor lizards, and eagles soaring over the beach all the time.

You do need transport, but I think that applies wherever you are on the island. Its attractions are very spread about compared to most places. But as renting a family sized car cost us only £8 a day, it's well worth it to have that freedom. We usually drove to Cenang for our evening meal.

We loved The Tanjung Sanctuary, and can't wait to go back.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

africanbeauty.

I see you stayed at Mali Best, I know the accommodation you stayed in. Was the quality of the tree house ok ?

What happened in the end ? Did you book in advance or just walk in.

Essex, England
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Thanks everyone for all your help.

What bungalows/position is best at the Tanjung Sanctuary?

Do you have any way of contacting the Mali Best as I can't seem to find them on the web. Did you experience any road noise at this resort?

Many thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

I seem to remember they have Beach front, Sea view and forest view chalets. Beach view look over the main beach, sea view look over small beaches in another direction. There are trees 'framing' or partially blocking the view though in many cases.

There is one pair of rooms that has a particularly stunning position over looking the main beach - I think they cost a bit more (try looking on the website). We had a sea view room - the furthest away from the reception, which we thought was the nicest position. Sorry - I can't remember the room number.

I believe all the chalets are built on stilts, so you are raised up above the sea.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Hi Robelyn

We just walked in - actually just took one night via the airport kiosks and then booked for longer once we got there....the bungalows were great - aircon, fan, fridge, kettle, queen sized bed and lots of hot water! Towels were changed daily and the staff were really great.

I think the tree houses are new additions to the accomodation at Mali Best??

And we paid RM 180 per night - same rate as a walk-in or booked at the airport.

The wooden bungalows one back from the beach - but mostly still with seaviews and small balconies - were bigger and almost as nice - same fittings as the tree top ones and they were RM110 per night.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Hi Sarah

I found them via the web but can't remember how!! One of the hotel accomodation sites...

email address : malibestlgk@yahoo.com.my

They have a brochure that they can post to you....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Malibest information here.

telephone numbers available and also some information on the motel. numbers are always difficult to find on the net as most of the numbers link to travel agents unless the hotel itself has a webpage. anyways here is the link,

http://www.hat.hi-ho.ne.jp/honey/malibest.htm

i was looking at the tree chalet but figured it would not be private. lots of people might walk up and disturb the nights off. not to mention, RM180 is a bit pricey for it.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
95 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

It was totally private - evn tho' we could watch the world going by on the beach, no one can see up onto the balconies and nobody ever ventured up the stairs - 2 short flights of stairs to the chalet.

Maybe pricey but we looked at a few others on the beach and for value for money, we were really glad we stayed where we did. The extra RM were worth every cent for what we got.

And the sunsets from up there were even more special.....all that we wanted when looking for an Island paradise get-away.....

Essex, England
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanjung sanctuary

Thanks so much to eveyone for your help.

I have now found Mali Best, the tree houses look great.

It looks like the Tanjung Sanctuary may be closing for renovation next year - just my luck!

Sarah