We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
280 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

......So I was informed by a young German tourist, one of a group of 6 or so openly drinking whisky on Cenang Beach a few days ago. This was in response to asking how long they'd been in Malaysia - They'd arrived the previous day from Thailand. Upon mentioning that drinking alcohol and leaving empty bottles scattered around might be frowned upon by the locals."langkawi isn't Malaysia its just for tourists" was the reply and that a destination that charged so much for food and ripped off tourists, unlike Thailand, didn't deserve their respect. Charming!! At least they picked up their rubbish when they left.

Mentioned in this post
Dev's Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Langkawi Mangrove Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

Hmmm not sure what to say but it does look as though the island is now attracting the wrong sort of visitors who have no respect for local customs and laws. Unfortunately I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later but I did hope it was going to be later - much later.

Lesley

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

Fortunately, it was nice and lovely place for me. Only our hotel ripped some money from us, the rest was nice!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,454 posts
2,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

Langkawi is a quieter resort hence why its popular with honeymooners and families. I hope a bar culture does not develop to an extent that it ends up being nearer to Patong and the like.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

Having had chats with fellow visitors, who like us have been coming to Langkawi for many years, I think the general concensus is that Langkawi is changing fast.....and maybe not for the better.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

If you walk along Cherating beach on the East Coast you will find many bottle strewn around on the beach, and at times when there are no tourists and 'off season' so to speak, so not restricted to Langkawi.

Lots of places are changing and on the whole not for the best.

6. Re: Langkawi isn't Malaysia!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28