We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

We are staying at the Datai over Christmas & New Year (2 weeks) and I wondered if anyone can advise on the following:

1) Do we need to tip?

2) If so, is it at every meal or can it be left at the end of our stay?

3) I assume we leave tips for the housekeeping - again, at the end of the stay?

4) What is a fair tip (don't want to be over or under generous) in Ringitts?

5) We do get charged a service charge anyway, does this not cover the food and drink (but not the rooms)?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Livery

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

Livery,

This is probably one of those questions where you’re going to get a lot of very differing opinions. For example, (generally speaking) Americans are MUCH better tippers than Dutch. So an American person may tell you to leave rm10 per day for housekeeping and a Dutch person will tell you to leave rm10 for a week. See what I mean?

My personal opinion:

1. You don’t *need* to tip. Most (if not all) hotels in Malaysia charge a 5% service charge to everything you use. (rooms, meals, minibar, room service, drinks in the bar). So theoretically, you’ve already paid for service. However, that’s not to say that a tip isn’t appreciated. Just don’t feel obliged. If the service warrants a tip, then do so. If it doesn’t, then don’t.

2. I wouldn’t tip after every meal. We usually only eat breakfast in our hotel and normally I’d just wait and see if one particular waiter or waitress was more helpful than the others and tip that person. The way I see it is: I expect good service, that’s what the 5% service charge is for. If I get great service, I’ll tip above it.

3. I generally leave rm2 on the first day, and depending on how clean and well-stocked my room is kept, then my tip for the rest of the stay varies from zero to rm5 per day. Your housekeeper will be pleased with rm2 per day. Whether you give it daily or at the end, I don’t think matters. I just tend to try and make a point of my getting my regular housekeepers name and tell her I’ll leave her tip on check-out day (that way she knows you're not dissatisfied with her cleaning). Just watch out it’s not your regular housekeepers day off when you check out and you give the tip for the whole stay to the person who covers her one day off.

4. I wouldn’t tip the taxi drivers on Langkawi as they are already overcharging you as standard. Housekeeping, I’ve stated above. Bellboy in the hotel I usually tip rm5. In a restaurant outside of the hotel, I’ll tip rm10 or 10% of the total bill – but only if my service was really good. I usually tip the beach bar or pool bar staff each day (rm5-10), but again, only when their service is better than good.

5. The service charge you pay in your hotel is levied on everything you use. Your room charge, breakfasts, meals, drinks, laundry, minibar, internet access, room service… everything is subject to the 5% (or sometimes 10%) service charge.

Hope this helps... just don't feel obliged to tip... only do so if the service warrants it.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

correction to my above post... it's a 10% service charge you pay at the Datai

In other parts of Malaysia where you see ++ after the price, that means

+ 5% govt tax

+ 10% service charge

London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

Hi M2006,

This is perfect, thank you very much for your reply, I shall print this off and make sure that I refer to it when we are there.

Thanks again

Livery

4. Re: Tipping at the Datai - do we? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 19:15