We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Hi all, and thanks for help so far. We're looking at booking a place in the far north of the island - about 3km north east of the four seasons. It appeals because it's a nice looking house - but the trade off I suspect could be the isolation. Does anybody know how difficult it would be to get to any eating places, mini marts etc? And travelling time to say the ferry terminal? Thanks in advance!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Hi

From the top end of the island it is around a 20 minute drive into Kuah Town and around 30 mins into Pantai Cenang. These places are where you will find the majority of restaurants and shops.

The ferry terminal is in Kuah Town.

Lesley

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Thanks Lesley - do you think it is easy to get a car/taxi up there if we want to head down to Kuah for dinner or will they not want to do a return trip to an isolated area? Will we have to forage for coconuts and small insects to survive? Cheers!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

The solution is to rent a car during your stay in Langkawi.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
587 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Hi,

Tanjung Rhu is little far off than the commercial places like Cenang and Kuah.

You really need to rent a car for the utmost convenience and good times. The roads very nice and it's will be a good driving experience at your own will exploring the island.

Cheers!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Hi

Are you looking to stay at the Tanjung Rhu?? If so, it is a wonderful hotel and has some amazing restaurants there. You will have no problems with hiring a car or taking taxis if you prefer.

There is an area to the side of this hotel where there are a couple of local restaurants which serve excellent food at very cheap prices and a few shops selling mainly beach clothing.

About a couple of miles down the road is the wonderful Scarborough Fish and Chips Restaurant which is lovely for a leisurely lunch.

Enjoy

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

i'm confused. are you renting a house or staying in an hotel? and is it on the rhu peninsula or at padang lalang? if at padang lalang, there are several local eating places, a few shops and a weekly night market. a short distance away on the kuah road there is a large supermarket newly opened, which sell alcohol, among other things.

i think you will need transport though.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 12:45
Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Sorry people I have been away with no internet access - thanks Jadamros and LuvSharma for your advice to rent a car. I will think about it but I do worry about driving in a foreign country.

Now, Lesley and pam, we are staying on the Tanjung Rhu Peninsula in a private house. I have just checked the map and what what I can gather we will be in between the Four Seasons and the Tanjung Rhu and I think we are right near that Scarborough fish shop so it's all falling in to place. Lesley, when you say it's good for lunch do they also do dinner? And do they do more than fish and chips? Do you reckon we are in walking distance of any other eating places?

Thanks so much guys for helping it's all making more sense. Cheers!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Actually scratch that we are the South Western side of Four Seasons so therefore further from Tanjung Rhu Resort.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Hi

Scarborough Fish & Chips are only open at lunchtimes (unless things have changed). Many people like to go there, have a swim and then have lunch. There is a shower and a changing room.

They serve other things but fish but the fish is gorgeous and the batter is lovely too.

Nope there is nothing else within walking distance I'm afraid.

Lesley

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,542 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peaceful time or 'castaway' experience?

Oh and another point is while you are staying at the top end of the island you would be better hiring a car or you will be pretty stuck.

Driving is relatively easy around the island, the roads are well sign posted and are not busy. I doubt you will need a car when staying in Pantai Cenang.

Lesley