We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Hitchin, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Just a quick warning to everyone that Sunset Beach Resort (where we had a booking in five weeks) have emailed us to cancel our booking as they are under new ownership.

They still appear on Booking.com etc so be careful about booking there as they may not honour the booking.

Very very annoying as we got a good rate for booking in advance and now we are booking somewhere else with only five weeks notice.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Did you book via Booking.com? The new owners should take on the existing bookings. Phone UK customer service. They should sort it out for you.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 21:28
Hitchin, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Rawtalent,

No, we booked direct but to be honest if their attitude is so bad that they'll just cancel someone's booking like that I don't want to stay with them and I'm glad we got out of it. Having looked at their reviews on TA the last few have been quite poor so it seems they've been winding the business down a bit and the last thing we need is dodgy accommodation.

On the bright side we'd originally wanted to book Bon Ton but decided against it due to cost but now Sunset have dropped us in it we decided to just go for Bon Ton as they still had a villa left!... Let's hope the expense is worth it!!

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Hi

Bon Ton is certainly worth it.

You will have a lovely time I'm sure.

Mick

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

We made when we left last year, as always, a new reservation for December this year. However, the Sunset Beach Resort will be history when we arrive (see the message from Sunset below). Someone is probably building something big and expensive on the place where the loveliest hotel in the island once was.

Jeffery, why did you do this to us?

Now we have to find a new place to stay after all these years, but it simply cannot be as lovely as was Sunset Beach Resort.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

------------------

For your information, we would to informed you that we will be closing down our operations with effect from 1st June 2014. An anonymous buyer has purchased the plot of land that Sunset Beach Resort is situated on.

At the same time, the buyer has given instructions for the hotel to move out before 1st June 2014 as he/she would like to use the land for other purposes.

Given the circumstances above, all booking would be cancelled without any charges by us.

Kindly do reply to this email should you require further assistance to book an alternative accommodation and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible to assist accordingly. Due to the limited amount of hotel accommodations in Langkawi, we would appreciate your prompt response so as to ensure a secured room with as minimal hassle as possible for customer planned holidays.

Thank you very much for your time and we seek your kind understanding for this one time off unfortunate and unforeseen incident.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies on behalf of the resort that this unfortunate incident which is beyond of our control had to occur.

Sorry for the inconvenience cause.

---------------------------

unquote

Langkawi is really changing, and not for the better...

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

note: there is a change to the road-layout in that area which will affect all businesses around the corner [jalan p. cenang/jalan p. tengah]. the plan is to remove the staggered junction [travelling from p.tengah to cenang] and take the road straight through.

i'm afraid change is inevitable - the mid-to-long term plan for langkawi is to take it up market. whether or not that plan is achievable is open to debate. desirable? i'm not sure about that either. but if you want beachside accommodation at low prices, shops, restaurants and bars, then perhaps it is time to move on.

Hitchin, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

TapsaT - Your reply from SSBR was a lot more comprehensive and apologetic than the one we got but I guess that's because you're a regular. Sorry to hear you're so sad that this place is closing down. It certainly seems from what others have said that this area is undergoing alot of construction so I think we may avoid it and use the other side of Pantai Cenang nearer where we are staying.

Pam - We certainly noticed a lack of decent-quality accommodation when we were looking for somewhere to stay, and by 'decent-quality' I mean something that actually makes you feel like you're in Malaysia and not one of those awful sterile Sheraton-style resorts that seem to be all over Langkawi and are basically Europe/America in Asia which was why we ended up spending the extra and going to Bon Ton. The only other place we liked the look of was the treehouse at Malibest (I think) but it was booked-up. Seems as if Langkawi is set to become more overrun with the enormous resorts though so this may end up being the only time we visit.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 12:31
Helsinki
Level Contributor
541 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Actually, it was I who wrote the post, I was just on Tapsa's computer.

Yes, we have been regular guests at Sunset for many years and we had a standing reservation for Xmas time. We also dislike large resorts and Sunset with their 28 rooms and 12 ppl staff was just perfect as we really do not need five star service but are past the backpacker age and like some basic comfort.

Just yesterday we made a new reservation at Tropical Resort which, at least according to the reviews, should be something like Sunset. We have not been inside but from the outside it looks quite nice. Let's hope for the best...

Hitchin, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

Good luck Jeku. I'd be interested to hear how you got on....

Pete

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

yes interested to know how you find it.

Have been looking at it for a while now.

Think they may have a no alcohol restriction, so if you want a beer on the patio you may have a problem. This is just "word of mouth" though.

cheers

Helsinki
Level Contributor
541 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Beach Resort Closing

In the last review somebody wrote that they were closing PART OF Sunset Beach Resort on June 1st. Anyone who knows what that means?