We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire car or taxi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hire car or taxi

we will be going to Langkawi in August for the first time was wondering whether to hire a car or use taxi

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire car or taxi

Hi

Taxis are cheap and plentiful and the prices are fixed. It depends how much time you want to spend out and about as to whether you hire a car or not.

Car hire starts from around 60RM per day plus petrol.

Why not wait a few days and hire a car later in your stay.

Lesley

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire car or taxi

Thanks Lesley will do that

Gerry

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire car or taxi

August is likely to be wet. We hired a cheepy from the airport for 350 ringgit ($120) for 6 days and did over 500km. You will miss a lot without a car. The tailor at the shopping centre at jetty point offered me a new i20 for 70 ringgit a day. A bit ore expensive but a new car not the piece of junk I had. LOL. Petrol was about 1.5 ringgit a litre ($0.5) and we spent 80 ringgits in the week.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 12:19
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire car or taxi

Hire a car, it's so easy driving around the island, the roads are quiet, just watch out for cows as they graze along side the road. Taxis are cheap ,but if you have a car you can stop anywhere to take a photo, or stop for a snack or drink. We hired the car on the 3 rd. day used taxis before that. Petrol is only about 85 cents a litre. Enjoy your trip, you'll love Langkawi !!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire car or taxi

cows grazing at the side of the road are rather less of a problem than buffalo sleeping in the middle of it, in my experience! but keep you wits about you and driving is quite easy.

we hire a car for the whole stay, the first day's hire is almost off-set by not needing a taxi from the airport, and having the car means you can pop out whenever you want. for instance, it saves us a bomb on laundry fees and gin...

also, taxi-drivers can be reluctant to go to some places in the island, and in others, they want to rush you through. it is hard to spot wildlife at 50 miles an hour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire car or taxi

Thanks for all the info

gerry

Level Contributor
34 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire car or taxi

Hi, we are coming to langkawi next week and definitely want to hire a car. We either want to book beforehand or get one at the airport. Can anyone advise the best place to book? My partner has looked online but can't find anything near 60rm per day. Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

Level Contributor
34 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire car or taxi

Hi, we are coming to langkawi next week and definitely want to hire a car. We either want to book beforehand or get one at the airport. Can anyone advise the best place to book? My partner has looked online but can't find anything near 60rm per day. Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire car or taxi

get it at the airport. booking online costs double. because there is no competition.

Perth Hills...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire car or taxi

Taxis are very cheap but of varying quality. Eg some have no airconditioning. Hiring car very cheap too and it is easy to get around, well sign posted and not much traffic ) except kuah. We taxied for first few days to get feel for place, raod rules ect and then got car (from our hotel including ins and excess was 180 ringgit a day) pertol very cheap.