We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back

We have just returned from a wonderful 16 days in Langkawi. We loved the place! We normally go to Bali and wanted a change.

The Island is so scenic, spectacular mountains,gorgeous beaches, lovely friendly people. We hired a car and saw all the island. We drove up to Tanjung Rhu several times , and swam at the lovely beach there. When I first booked my main concern was jelly fish, but there was no sign of them, and I waited until I saw other people swimming before I ventured in.

The shopping is great. We went into Kuah a few times and went to all the main shopping centres, I thought that Langkawi Fair was the best. We loved walking around the quaint 'old' Kuah and found a fantastic bakery, on the main road going into Kuah on the left hand side. ( can't remember the name of it).

Went up on the cable car ( oh my God, it was so steep ) but enjoyed the ride! Fantastic views of the island. I loved the Oriental Village that you have to walk through to get to the cable car. Lots of interesting shops and shady spots to sit out of the heat.

We also went to the underwater world, which was a bit disappointing compared to the ones we've seen in Australia.And they charge tourists more than Malaysians.

Although it was Ramadham just after we arrived, which meant a lot of shops and restaurants were closed till the evening, we still found plenty of places to shop and eat.

We couldn't get over how cheap alcohol was!! A big bottle of Gordon's Gin was only AUD$11!!! Much cheaper than the Adelaide duty free ( $ 23). And chocolate!!! I bought about 6 kilos!!!! Not just for us I might add!!! Will give some away as presents.

We stayed at the Holiday Villa Resort. The Resort is lovely,huge pools,great gym, lovely public areas to sit. We found the staff pleasant and helpful. The infinity pool which you have to pay extra to use ( a bit rough I think) is lovely,the water is much cooler than the other pool as its filtered through some sort of cooling system, much more refreshing!!

We had a deluxe room with a view of the pool and a bit of the sea, it had a small balcony to sit out on, as all the rooms do. We are not used to staying in a big hotel and were a bit concerned about noise but it was fine. The hotel was no where near full,maybe people don't come when it's Ramadham.

The room itself was spacious, the furnishings are a bit dated but still nice. Great block out curtains! Plenty of drawers and hanging space. And a fantastic shower head!! The air con was excellent.

And for nearly $150 a night you would think you'd get free Wi Fi, but no. Plenty of cafe's etc outside that you can get it for free.

I would highly recommend Cactus Restaurant just over the road from the hotel. We had many breakfasts there and a few dinners.

Also Troppo Co, a bit further up the road on the same side heading into Cenang, great coffee!!! And yummy baguettes, 1 is big enough for 2 people!

Some great Indian restaurants, there are 2 not far from Holiday Villa. It's a good 20 minute walk into Cenang ( good exercise ). Cenang is great, loads of market ( clothes ) shops, duty free shops, and little supermarket type places.

Big tip ------- don't take too much luggage, there's plenty to buy!!!

DO GO to Langkawi it's beautiful, we will go again one day!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back

Thanks for your report. I've been thinking of going to Langkawi for quite a while now. Looks like I need to take the plunge.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back

Thanks for posting.Sounds like you had a great time :)

Im going to be there in November can't wait!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back

Thanks for this report! We will be there in 2 weeks or so, was it easy to hire a car? Are taxis expensive? How does the price of food compare to Bali ?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back

Hi

Car hire is very easy - either at the airport when you arrive or through your hotel. Expect to pay in the region of 60RM per day plus petrol.

Taxis are plentiful and cheap. The prices are fixed so you will not get cheated.

Food is probably more expensive than in Bali but there are lots of cheaper restaurants you can eat at - they may not look very nice from the outside but the food is usually excellent.

Enjoy

Lesley

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back

Also just Langkawi and. Stayed at Hold.Villa cheaper brother Fed.villa.Langkawi is fantastic loved the pool there and beach is beautiful. I think Langkawi will. Take of soon ,so good to see a beautiful place before tourism kicks in.Also Cactus. Had my older son with us and was hesitant to go but now after 5 minutes. At Cactus loved it.Food atmosphere and prices not only at Cactus but everywhere in Langkawi makes it great destination.Now we are in Phuket although good definitely now as good as Langkawi.

Down Under
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back

Glad you loved it...much better than Bali IMHO :-) We love Malaysia and Langkawi is a real jewel. Thanks for the report. You make me miss Troppoco and Cactus.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back

hey wonderful review. I'll be going in Oct. Btw which brand chocolates you bought and frm where? Are they cheap?

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back

Dear Deepsans,

I always buy the Whittaker chocolate with 72% cacao. You can get it at the duty free shop at Langkawi Fair, next to the Billion or a few doors further than the Maybank in Kuah town.

Eva

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back

Hi Eva where is Langkawi fair ? Is it a shop , area or an actual fair being held ? I'm going to be in Langkawi next next week n can't wait to explore :) thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back

Hi

Langkawi Fair is a shopping mall and is on the main road going into Kuah.

Lesley

Edited: 15 October 2014, 09:41