We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

When are there going to be direct international flights from Langkawi INTERNATIONAL Airport? I can only go Langkawi Singapore direct at the moment. It's crazy this international airport isn't being used for direct international flights. If I want to go Langkawi to Bangkok (1 hour flight) I have to go Langkawi to KL (1 hour) then transit KL to Bangkok (2 hours). It takes around 5 hours travel time if you time it right instead of 1 which is crazy. The same for Langkawi Siem Reap which I have to do this week. There is definitely the business for direct flights from Langkawi to SE Asian destinations not to mention Europe and Australia

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
975 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

KL is the Malaysian hub and it will not change soon.

Penang is the second largest city in Malaysia and it only has a few international flights so I think Langakawi will be waitng a while.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 05:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

Yes that's the problem with Malaysia. They don't make things easy. They should take note from their neighbours who have direct international flights from several tourist destinations.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

I think you can't win with this one. One of the attractions for many people is the fact that places such as Langkawi are not completely overrun with tourists. Open up direct flights and the quiet nature gets spoilt, more hotels have to be built and before you know it what happened with Bali gets repeated.

It may be interesting to note that at one time there were direct flights from the UK to Penang but they had to stop because there were simply not enough passengers. So if in the era of cheap flights routes were not viable I doubt very much that they will reopen.

4. Re: Lack of International Flights from Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 06:15