We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DO NOT get the ferry!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
DO NOT get the ferry!

To anyone travelling to or from Langkawi in Monsoon season (July-September) I would highly advise flying with cheap airlines such as Air Asia, Malaysian Airlines etc for around £25 rather than getting the £12 ferry. It is well worth the extra money. We recently took the ferry from Langkawi to Penang (despite the lonely planet guide warning) - what a terrible decision! The sea was extremely rocky within 15minutes Id say 25% of the 300 passenger on board were vomiting everywhere - the boat smelt revolting!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,405 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

Yep, that is one of the reasons we normally say fly!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

Hi

Sorry about your trip but you were warned....!! The sea can be very rough at that time of year and ferry travel is not idea - as you have unfortunately found out.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and stay away from ferries. lol

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

I have to go to Penang frequently and try to avoid the ferries as well. They have a "new" cartamaran, ZON 2, that is much better than the others. But here is what I normally do as I hate flying:

I take the ferry to Kuala Perlis (not Kedah as that goes the same direction as the one to Penang)

From Perlis I either rent a car or take a taxi. But a more economic way from here is a bus.

By car I am in Penang in something like 2,5 hrs.

The ferry From Langkawi to Perlis goes at least 6 times a day and is never crowded. It takes only one hour and ride has always been a pleasure.

Eva

Level Contributor
8 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

Totally agree! We got the ferry to Langkawi from Penang yesterday and Id say the majority of people were ill unfortunately. If they werent physically being sick, they were definitely feeling it! Was not a nice experience in the slightest, oh and the toilets, well Im not even going to go there but Im sure you could use your imagination to visualise many sick people at once, dont need to go into detail. I unfortunately did not read the reviews prior to purchasing tickets (silly me!). Lesson learned.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
925 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

Hi Eva

have you ever taken the car ferry to Perlis?

cheers

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

Thank you, We were thiking of going to Penang from Langkawi by the ferry.

Now just advise- how and which buses to take to Penang

7. Re: DO NOT get the ferry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16