We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel options - DE advice needed

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel options - DE advice needed

Hi,

Planning on going to langkawi mid October with hubby for 6 nights. We will be staying at the Rebak Island for the first 3 nights . The other 3 nights am confused as to where to stay ......

Am considering Berjaya as the whole staying in midst of a rainforest sounds interesting but dont want to again be away from all the night life (not clubs but good eating n shopping places) as staying at the Rebak we will be mostly island bound.

Also looking at Meritus pelangi, which i read is closer to the eateries etc.

Can the DE's please guide as to what will be a better option Berjaya, Meritus or any other place considering we will be staying at the Rebak for first 3 days.

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Hi

I actually love the Berjaya and always stay there. It is not as isolated as you think and there is a good taxi service available.

If you stay at Meritius then you are in Pantai Cenang which is the main tourist spot on the island and within walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops. The area is more built up with no rainforest or wildlife. So if that is what you want, then go for Meritius.

Lesley

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Thanks for response Lesley. I knew you would recommend the Berjaya :)

Berjaya is offering an ALL Inclusive and also an Breakfast n Dinner option. Any idea if the AI or BD option allows us to eat at any of the restaurants or is there any restriction.

Are there any places within 10 min. of walking distance from Berjaya for a quick meal, hiring bikes etc ?

Also my worry is that since we would be staying at Rebak first and then on to the next resort want to enjoy different surroundings atmosphere etc

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Hi

The Oriental Village and cable car is around a 10 min stroll from the Berjaya or you can take the shuttle bus down. There are a few restaurants here and a very good food court which is relatively cheap. Most places do close around 6pm though.

Bicyles, scooters and cars can be hired at Berjaya.

Telaga Harbour is a 5 min taxi ride from Berjaya. Costs 10RM each way. There are several very good restaurants here.

I am sure there is restriction on the restaurants you can use on the all inclusive. The Pahn Thai is one of them. Can't remember what it is though!!

Perhaps Pantai Cenang and the Meritius will give you a different experience from Rebak. It is certainly much busier with lots of traffic and people.

Lesley

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

i know the restrictions. but you only asked for d.e. advice.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Aww sorry Pam, my bad.

Can you please give me ur valuable inputs. As im yet confused an leaning more towards a hotel that is close to restaurants shopping etc.

(Sorry Sandy might give Berjaya a skip this time n save it for another trip :)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

so. with the berjaya meal plan, you can have a choice of the set menus at oriental pearl [chinese], or the themed buffet at dayang cafe. alternatively, you can get credit towards meals at the beach restaurant and pahn thai. check before booking: things do change.

we do not book a meal plan, just breakfast. we eat around half our meals at the berjaya, including room service which we find good, both in quality and value. we eat often at telaga harbour, a cheap taxi ride away, where there is plenty of choice.

i have found nothing to tempt me to pantai cenang, except the [expensive] la salle at casa del mar. i find pantai cenang tedious at best, and the choice of restaurants turns out like 'fifty-seven channels and nothing on'. but that's me, not necessarily you.

the wildlife at the berjaya is amazing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Thanks Pam n Lesley am going to stay divide my stay between Rebak n Berjaya next week :)

Can u please tell me if kauh town is closer from which hotel so as to plan my days well . Thanks again

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Hi

Kuah Town is probably slightly nearer to Rebak but, of course, you have the boat journey to take into account. Kuah Town is around 45mins from Berjaya and 30mins from Rebak Jetty.

Lesley

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

THANKS Lesley for patiently responding to all my queries. Any idea if we can rent scooters closer to the Rebak jetty and places to eat close by.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel options - DE advice needed

Hi

Nearest places to eat and rent scooters will be in Pantai Cenang which is probably about s 5 min taxi ride from the jetty.

Lesley