We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Required Please on Langkawi

Southampton
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Required Please on Langkawi

hi thinking of going to langkawi in april, Just need some general information. Best places to eat, cost of living,ie restaurant prices tea, coffee,soft drinks, alcohol, or is all inclusive a better option. What are the driving conditions like,and do you need an international driving licence. What are the best hotels, and best places to see. What sort of clothing to pack, and is dining formal or casual. Any information will be helpful. Thankyou

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

I would recommend Pelangi Beach - it's a classy version of the classic beachside chalet operation, and it at one end of pantai cenang, a beach strip with restaurants etc.

I would book B&B - you can eat in the hotel other times if you want, but there are plenty of other places, both restaurants and food stalls. The stalls may look unhygenic, but rarely are - everybody eats there. The Thai food is good because it's so close. The beer is cheaper than anywhere else in Malaysia because it's duty free - the last time I was there (a few years ago now) less than £1 for a can/bottle of Tiger.

Driving is dead easy as there's v. little traffic and the roads are surprisingly good.

I would consider combining Penang and Langkawi if you want anything other than beach holiday, as there are no attractioins on Langkawi which really stand out - a couple of nights in penang either on the way there or back could make it a more rounded trip - the flight between the two is 20 mins actual flight time

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Edinburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

I would highly recommend Langkawi as a holiday destination, food, drink and taxi's are very cheap. However many hotels are tend to overcharge on room rates

My wife and i are returning for our fourth visit in 3 weeks time and we have now found a great hotel where the food is excellent and the price is right

i can if you wish give you a lot of details and answer any specific questions you have if you wish to mail me direct on jimbrown11@aol.com

One point I would make is i see one of the replies says that you should use Air Asia. The problem with this is if you are travelling from or to the UK via KL the terminal for this flight is a 40 minute bus journey away and cost about £5 on way from the International terminal. You do not have to travel very fare (a short free monorail trip of about 5 minutes) between planes if you use Air Malaysia. Also your luggage can go straight thro whereas on Air Asia you need to collect your baggage meaning at least a 3.5 hour gap between flights

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Hotel Asia Langkawi
Hotel Asia Langkawi
328 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,555 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

Hi Jim

I am another Langkawi fanatic - are you going to tell us which hotel you have found which meets all your requirements or are you keeping that one to yourself!!! - I don't blame you if you are.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

The other problem with AirAisa is the baggage allowance. Its less than MAS. So if you need to check in with them from a MAS flight you might find yourself paying excess charges on the inbound.

It will cost even more on the way home.

Either that or travel light.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

Hi guys,

Just to clarify a few points made by others.

Langkawi hotel prices are higher compared to Bali and Phuket because: 1.) limited numbers of hotels (less than 80), hence lack of competition. 2.) resorts occupy vast area of land and many resorts offer chalets or rooms virtually on the beach. 3.) higher shipping and freight cost as it is an island not linked by a bridge to the mainland like Phuket or Bali.

Malaysian city resorts or hotels are generally so ridiculously cheap that the government had to set the minimum rate for 5 stars to be above USD 100. Two years before, you could get a 5 star central hotel room for as low as RM 300 (USD85).

Air Asia terminal is at the other end of KLIA runway. Because the terminal was added after KLIA was completed, the road from KLIA terminal to LCC terminal is winding and hilly. It takes about 30 minutes to reach. Taxi costs about RM 35 (GBP 5).

The baggage allowance for Air Asia is 15 kgs and 7 kgs for hand baggage. They will charge for any excess baggage. MAS allows 20kgs and usually an extra 5kgs if the baggage load for the flight is not too high.

MAS' lowest fare to Langkawi is RM350 (9 days advance purchase) after taxes. If one books early, you can fly to Langkawi between

RM350 - RM 500. Air Asia's lowest fares is around RM 180 but it could be as high as RM 480 before seats are fully booked.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Hotel Asia Langkawi
Hotel Asia Langkawi
328 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

Alexmcca

Thanks for your explanation. I, too, have been surprised by the cost of top-end accomodation in Langkawi. It's quite prohibitive compared with other places.

I don't want to be pedantic (but can't help myself...) - Bali isn't linked to the mainland by a bridge.

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
27. Re: Advice Required Please on Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 16:15