We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag packing to perak

Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bag packing to perak

Hi, I will be travelling to ipoh with 2 of my friends from Penang by end of september. We plan to take bus from sungai nibong to Ipoh Amanjaya bus station. Any recommendation of budget hotel to stay? Since we do not have any car to drive around, we're hoping to stay in a hotel located in strategic place. After searching online, we sort of figure out places to visit. Kelllie Castle, Gua tempurung, Museum Sam Poh teng & Tambun hot spring. More recommendations on place to visit are welcome too. :) Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag packing to perak

All the places you mentioned are out of town and require transport to get to.

Note that Tambun hot spring is now part of the Banjaran resort complex and there is no access unless you are staying there.

Kellies Castle and Gua Tempurung are south of the city and you will need a taxi to get there. Tempurung is about 2 km off the old trunk road. Sam Poh Tong is just south of Ipoh on the road to Tempurung.

Ipoh museum is in town near the padang.

Cheap hotels in Jalan Ali Pitchay area. Tune Hotel was cheap but has closed and is now Hotel Pi. There are some other budget hotels, bright yellow in colour but I don't know anything about them.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
807 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag packing to perak

@Jeannie T,

How long will you be staying in Ipoh? That will indicate how many places you can visit.

For hotels, you can consider these two:

http://www.lemetrotel.com.my/home.html

http://www.ipohdowntownhotel.com/

They are 2-3 star standard. I don't know if that is budget enough for you or not. Otherwise there are some of those hotels located within renovated shophouses (about RM30-50 a night) in Jalan Ali Pitchay and Jalan Che Tak.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 07:03
Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bag packing to perak

Thanks for the useful info! Didnt know abt it until you inform me about this! My friends & I havent been to Ipoh so that's why we're kinda clueless abt the location. I guess I have to make some adjustment on my plan. Do you have any recommendation on places to visit or things to do in ipoh town itself?

Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bag packing to perak

@LizinKL

Thanks for the useful info! Didnt know abt it until you inform me about this! My friends & I havent been to Ipoh so that's why we're kinda clueless abt the location. I guess I have to make some adjustment on my plan. Do you have any recommendation on places to visit or things to do in ipoh town itself?

Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bag packing to perak

@Jchong

Hi there! Thank you for the info! Im planning to stay in ipoh for 3 days 2 night. Do you have any recommendation on tour packages available/places to visit or things to do in ipoh town itself ?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bag packing to perak

Ipoh is quite easy to walk around and there is also a heritage trail. Do see the railway station and law courts etc opposite, the padang, then Panglima Lane and clock tower - all close together. Check out the murals , you can google the location, near the old mosque by the bridge. The museum is small and not too bad.

No need to take a tour of Ipoh, it's small enough to walk around.

Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bag packing to perak

@LizinKL

I see. Noted. Thank you so much for all the information. Appreciate that! =)

Macau, China
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bag packing to perak

I just got back home from malaysia and had gone to ipoh for two days. Transportation is extremely inconvenience unless you take a taxi, which I think is better as you could share the fee out ( I travel on my own). I stayed at the old town at hotel abby for 30rm/night, the town is very small that you can just walk around. As I am on my own, the only thing I did at ipoh was EAT XD" The food in Ipoh is really nice though:)

Melaka, Melaka...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bag packing to perak

@Oriolekam

Hello there! Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope you enjoy your stay in malaysia! =)

10. Re: Bag packing to perak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15