We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Penang

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Penang

Hi there

Could anyone give me some advice of where would i find good snorkeling in Penang?

Ideally i am looking for snorkeling off the coast that does not required a boat trip, or that could be done in a normal boat, not a tourist one

regards,

berttie

www.adegreeaday.blogspot.com

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,970 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

HI

Yes, thats an easy one, the best snorkelling in Penang will be in the your hotel pool.

Simply put, you won't find any good snorkelling anywhere around Penang.

The waters around Penang are generally murky and visiability is poor, plus the wonderful jellyfish have a habit of making unannounced appearances!

The nearest snorkelling is a day trip to Langkawi Coral at Palau Payar, about 2hour boat trip (on a ferry), but the trip is a tourist trip. This is a great day out.

Sorry, snorkelling and Penang do not mix.

The best snorkelling of the beaches in Malaysia is Pehentians, Redang, Tioman, and the Marine Park at Kota Kinabalu, all some distances from Penang.

have fun, whatever you do.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

hiya berttie well youl be lucky it would be like trying to snorkel in custard, need i say any more!!! keep iit for the bath!!! maggieomx

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

Unless you take a boat trip to Pulau Payar, otherwise sorry to tell you that you won't be able to find any places for snorkeling in Penang Island.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

Actally chaps - that is not quiet true.

Off the south side of the island are a couple of small islands that are good for a bit of under water 'site seeing'

You need to get down to Batu Maung and ask the fishing boats about Pulau Kendi or the other island that is shaped like a butter fly or bow - sorry, cant remember the name. Another place is the head land near Gertak Sanggol.

Please keep this a secret as not many peeps know this.

CAUTION - watch out for strong tide flow.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

The Island is named Pulau Rimau (english translation = Tiger Island, but there are no tigers).I have visited this island in the past. Had a great time. I googled www.penang-traveltips.com/pulau-rimau.htm for the following info:

Pulau Rimau is a small island on the southeast corner of Penang Island, off the coast of Permatang Damar Laut. Pulau Rimau is the site of a lighthouse which helps ship navigate into the South Channel of Penang. The lighthouse was built by the British. It is a steel tower that is 17 meters tall and is sited at an elevation of 39 meters. Apart from the lighthouse itself, Pulau Rimau is uninhabited.

Getting there

Due to the presence of the lighthouse, Pulau Rimau is likely to be out of bounds to the general public. Pulau Rimau is visible from the coast of Permatang Damar Laut. To view it, take the Permatang Damar Laut road that leads from Bayan Lepas to Batu Maung. After you passed the airport, make a turn to the right, entering any of the country lanes. Go straight until you reach the southern coast of Penang. You will be able to see Pulau Rimau on the horizon to the left, while Pulau Kendi is on the horizon to the right. Alternatively, you can hire a boat to take you around Pulau Rimau without actually landing there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

thanks everyone for your advice

i realized that i had made a mistake following your first emails

i meant to go to the perhentians...

i am a bit of a dozzy cow, i must recognise, can not believe i have made it this far

thanks all for your help

berttie

www.adegreeaday.blogspot.com

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,970 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

We like dozzy cows, it's a criteria to be on the forum! How do you think we got here . . . . . ?

Where ever you go, have a great one!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

Moooooooooooooooo!!

maggiemoox

9. Re: Snorkeling in Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 06:17