We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang - Food and Weather

perth
1 post
Save Topic
Penang - Food and Weather

Hi

Looking to travel to Penang staying at the Parkroyal in February. Firstly, any information regarding the weather in February would be greatly appreciated - I hear that it shouldnt be too bad (as long as its sunny and not raining - I can put up with the heat).

Also, as I've never been to Penang before do you have to worry about what/where to eat and the water like in Bali or can you eat vertually anywhere??

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

Weather...dont ask. If anyone can guess it right, might as well guess the winning number for the lottery. Generally, its hot in Feb.

Food and Water, not a problem, Penang is famous for its hawker food, road side stall, so far i hvae not come across anyone getting sick from eating and drinking from these stalls.

However, do buy bottled water and not take it from the tap.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,074 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

HI

It will be hot, the sun will shine and it will rain - best we can do on the weather.

Only thing to worry about in Penang is probably the taxi drivers trying to rip you off. Food, water and security are not an issue in Malaysia.

As questions similar to yours get asked reguarly we have set up some FAQs, look in the right panel part of the this screen -----> Top questions about PENANG is where you will find FAQs give most of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular the following.

• FAQ Where to Eat in Penang

• FAQ Penang vs Phuket

• FAQ Hawker food centers

• FAQ What to eat

• FAQ Weather

• FAQ Currency Options

• FAQ Cost of things

• FAQ Cost of taxis

• FAQ Free Bus in Georgetown

• FAQ Bargaining

In the various forums where you want to travel, check out the ‘travel guide’ / ‘inside guides’, ‘things to do’ and ‘……………..hotels’ in the left hand panel of this page, where you look at all sorts of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc and can sort by budget and read recent reviews,

<---------------------------

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

There are some really useful information and brochures from the Tourism Malaysian about many places in Malaysia, have a read and see what appeals:

www.tourism.gov.my/corporate/trade.asp…

Or have a look at Trip Advisors sister website, Virtual Tourist

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Trav…

See what appeals to you, your time schedule and your budgets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS The Malaysian forum is a friendly place, pleases and thank yous go a long way when asking a question makes it seem less demanding and encourages us to help you!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

If you want to do some research on historic weather in Penang you can use the "almanac" section on this website:

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

However as everyone above has said, weather is unpredictable. We were in Penang this February and saw rain twice only through our 10 night stay. The longest the rain lasted was a couple of hours.

It's fairly common in the tropics for you to have a hot, humid, sunny day, then have the clouds roll in for an afternoon shower. It'll rain for half an hour up to a good couple of hours (believe me, your preference should be for a longer rain shower than a shorter one as the shorter ones just up the humidity and give no relief from the heat).

The bonus of rain in Penang (and Malaysia) - as with Bali - is that it is warm, and generally it's also not windy, so unlike in Perth (when rain is usually accompanied by cold weather plus wind making umbrellas almost useless) you can still get about in the rain with not too much hassle - plus, the rain showers start and all of a sudden you notice every second shop sells umbrellas!

In terms of food - oh, I could wax lyrical about the food for paragraph after paragraph. It is cheaper than Bali - particularly as "street food" is more readily available (especially compared to Kuta which has an abundance of restaurants, but comparably very very little hawker food).

This is a post we put up just after we returned from Penang this year, listing prices paid for food, drink, transportation etc... Might come in handy - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298302-i9174-k3…

Penang has an abundance of food options - Chinese, Malay, Indian, Thai, and of course Western foods. You can pretty much cover the full price range from Roti Canai served with Dahl at an Indian Nasi Kandar for RM0.90 (around A$0.35) to a plate of Kway Teow (flat rice noodles) for RM3-5, more expensive meals at restaurants such as Eden Seafood Village on Batu Ferringhi where you can choose your own live fish to eat (although I have heard rumours via the forum that Eden is closed for renovations at the moment).

There are many hawker style food courts all over Georgetown, plus an abundance of restaurants. Just use the same common sense you would in Bali and if a restaurant has no Customers, take that as a bad sign. If at a Hawker Centre noone is shopping at a particular stall, same deal. Make sure your food is cooked fresh in front of you, piping hot will kill most germs.

Our favourite Hawker Centres would have to be Long Beach Hawkers on Batu Ferringhi, and Red Garden Hawkers in Georgetown. I didn't enjoy Gurney Drive Hawkers when I ate there (found it overrated - my Kway Teow was mushy and my Satays had lots of fatty pieces) then again others will rave about it.

The water is safe to drink, however not the tastiest water around. Bottled water is cheap and available everywhere. You can definitely brush your teeth in the water in Penang/Malaysia - unlike in Bali.

Have a great time in Penang, have a great time planning your trip, welcome to Tripadvisor too...

Lise

4. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2010, 17:35
PERTH, AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

wow thanks everyone for the replies - my husband and i are travelling to penang in march 2011 and all the info on here is a huge help. Being a person that has been to bali too many times am looking forward to a change.

also love the name wce09 - let's hope they are better in 2011

6. Re: Penang - Food and Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 05:17