We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 2 nights in penang enough?

mumbai
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
is 2 nights in penang enough?

hi all,

just booked my second trip to mal on the aa sale for next may. got an amazing return to penang but in a hurry got only 2 days in penang. now i'm wondering if its too less? have 2 kids and enjoy a relaxing beach holiday, not too interested in shopping there. is penang more beautiful than langkawi?

pls advise.

thanx

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,829 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

HI

Well, it really does depend on what you like doing, but IMO 2 days is never enough in Penang.

Can't say Penang is more beautiful than Langkawi, only that Penang is very different from Langakwi. It would be rather like saying which of your children are more beautiful or handsome!

Penang is not the beach destination that Langakwi is.

Penang has more heritiage and culture than Langakwi.

Penang has some of the best food in Malaysia, and much better than Langkawi.

You may find very similar recent posts a useful read to help you figure it all out . . . just click on the links below

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293951-i7006-k4…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g635527-i12669-k…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293951-i7006-k4…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g635527-i12669-k…

Have fun!!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

" days would not be enough for me - but only you can decide.

As T Mitch said above - it depends on what you like doing.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

The simple answer (in our opinion) is no, however if all you plan to do is relax on the beach, then perhaps the answer is yes.

That said, (also in our opinion), if you only spend your time in Penang relaxing on the beach, you will be missing so much...

Kek Lok Si Buddhist Temple is spectacular, and can easily kill a few hours. You can combine Kek Lok Si with a visit to Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera). If the funicular railway is running, this is a nice experience, and is a nice cool respite from the heat - the views are great. The National Park is nice for a walk, good for both serious hikers with some long trails, and for those (like us) who are on the less fit side - the Canopy Walkway is only around 1.4km in, and is nice - it's an easy walk, and the Canopy Walkway will only set you back RM5.

In Georgetown itself you can easily just wander for literally days as there is something to see around practically every corner - that is, if you are in to culture and history.

Some of the perhaps better known tourist sights include the Khoo Kongsi Clan House (the Cheah Kongsi is also well worth a visit), the Kapitan Keling Mosque, Little India with its Sri Mariamman Temple, Fort Cornwallis and the surrounding colonial buildings including the Supreme Court, City Hall etc. The protestant cemetery is beautiful and serene, the Botanic Gardens are nice for a stroll.

Still within Georgetown but heading towards Gurney Plaza you can visit Wat Chaiyamangkalaram (temple of the Reclining Buddha) and Dhammikarama Buddhist Temple. Wat Buppharam is an intriguing and strange mix of Malay and Thai, with Buddhist and Hindu aspects.

You can visit the "main" sites in 2 days, but they would be very full days, not so much relaxing days as opposed to exploring days. And you can easily spend two days in Penang and not visit a single shopping centre!

And then of course, there is the food... Have a search on this forum about food in Penang - it is a whole entity for tourists to check out all of its own...

Why not look at your two days as an opportunity to scratch the surface and see if Penang captures you as much as it has captured us and many of the others on this forum.

Hope this helps,

Lise & Sabrina

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

and for 2 penny worth... 2 days no chance so much to see and do!!!

perth
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

We went as a family to Penang in July this year for 4 days for the first time and we have rebooked for 6 days for July 2011. On the trip this year we did not even get a chance to go to Georgetown as the time just got away from us in the areas around Batu Ferringhi. 2 days No way.

I hope this helps

Regards Craig

mumbai
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

thank you soo much Lise and Sabrina that is soooo informative. i have saved that post and will stay addicted to AA for a good deal to change my dates.

thank you to all the others too , guess 2 days will be less might just cover the must do things. with kids everythings not possible too.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

if you are interested in culture and sights, I would say you need at least 3 days to cover the main sights such as Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Hill and the old historic chinatown of GeorgeTown - with highlights including the Chinese Clan houses and the clan piers.

Don't rush it if possible, the heat could tire you out if you do! I don't consider the main beach area of Penang (Battu Ferreghi) to be particularly good - there are certainly far nicer beaches in Malaysia including Langkawi and Perhentian Islands in my opinion.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

You're more than welcome traveller_infty, we're just happy if it helps.

If you got your fares to Penang super cheap, then (depending on your budget) you can always just not take the flight out, and extend by a few days (specially if you can nab another sale fare)...

That said, while 2 days is not ideal, it is still 2 days, and if you do your research on what sights you would like to see, you could still fit in the main ones and have perhaps a small amount of time for pure relaxation!

Lise & Sabrina

Torquay
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

My two cents worth is that Penang is way too crowded. You can't swim because of all the jelly fish and we were there 6 days and exhausted the suggested 'must see' sites very quickly. That said, we did enjoy Penang very much, the food was excellent and everybody was very friendly. Langkawi beaches are way better, the atmosphere incredibly relaxing, the food still excellent but culturally a little more sparse; if that is the word. Nobody has mentioned that Langkawi is duty free. My advice is see both and make your own mind up. We went to Penang once but are planning our fourth trip to Langkawi next year. It is the perfect place to swing by at the end of a hectic Asia tour.

mumbai
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 2 nights in penang enough?

we just got back frm langkawi and totally agree with you. going back to malaysia next may and thought about visiting a new place, thats why booked penang. visited the forum after booking. quite dissapointed that the sea is not swimmable as the kids really enjoyed the placid langkawi sea. guess we'll enjoy the cultural sites and chill in a nice hotel.

please tell me what kind of stuff is there in the night markets.?

as always loads of respect and thanks to all who take out their precious time to reply in such details.