We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang Food

London, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Penang Food

Someone has advised me the best gfood in malaysia is found in penang.

Can anyone recommend some decent eateries - Im on my honeymoon and want to avoid children where possible and somewhere romantic.

I'm into fine dining and am less bothered about cost just want it to be somwehere PHAT with good nice food to eat.

Your assiatnce would be appreciated.

1. Re: Penang Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 14:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang Food

Zach,

In Penang there are more places to eat than days in the year, it’s a place where food can be found everywhere. I would suggest you look at the various guides available, but do not assume that these are any better than some of the food stalls you can find on your walks.

Depending on where you are staying George Town or one of the beach resorts, suggest you head over to Gurney Drive for a great mix of Malay, Indian, Asian cuisine. Also have a walk around China town, there are some great food places there, just look for the busy ones and try them out.

My wife, who is a bit of a fussy, enjoyed the food better at the food stalls than some of the restaurants that had good write ups in the guides and for the price they were not exceptional.

Speaking with one West Country expat, I met, earlier this year; he said that during his winter refuge in Penang that it wasn’t worth buying and cooking his own food at his apartment because food was so cheap and easily available to eat out every day.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
395 Reviews
Penang, Malaysia
Gurney Drive
Gurney Drive
228 Reviews
Penang, Malaysia
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang Food

@ #2 What you are doing is self promotion!

London, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang Food

Thanks - I am staying at the Eastern and Oriental Hotel - Unsure on what is nearby there. I wanted to stay away from Battyu Ferenghi as I figured it would be filled with 18-30 club med style people and i wanted to souk up a bit of culture. Maybe I am mistaken.

Nonetheless food is a big thing for me - while I am born and bred in the UK my father is from Lahore in Punjab where food - particuarly grilled is amazing. I'm a big fan or Thai and Malay (less so of Chinese food).

ANy nice flashy resturants would be good - at least for one nights dnner.

Thanks for your advice to date.

Mentioned in this post
Punjab
Punjab
India
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang Food

Since you are at E&O, there are two nearby places you can go for great food. One is the tandoori chicken at Kapitan Restaurant (three of them in Georgetown but the one at Chulia Street is the oldest and nearest to you, though a bit grotty and run-down unlike their other two spanking modern branches at Queensbay and Gurney Tower) - see http://spy.my/penang/kapitan-restaurant.html . The other is the much acclaimed Chin's at the QEII Quay a mere 10 minutes walk from E&O for fine Chinese fusion dining (there was once an award winning Chin's at London but the owner, a Malaysian Penang Chinese, has since returned to Penang for family reasons and set up Chin's there) - see sohopenang.com/chins-stylish-chinese-cuisine .

Enjoy your stay!

PS: We are in Georgetown too right now for a short year-end break. Been to Kapitan at Chulia Street yesterday for lunch.

Muhib

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang Food

@zeeshm - may I also add that CK Lam's blog http://www.what2seeonline.com/ has been most informative for me on the Penang food scene.

Regards

Muhib

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang Food

I agree with earlier poster about Kapitan restaurant in Chulia St (Jalan Chulia) the naan breads & tandoori chicken are probably the best on the island, then there is the fantastic chicken tikka masala they serve (i'm getting hungry thinking about it!).

Very close to the E&O is 32 @ The Mansion where fine dining is guaranteed in an old colonial building & it is in walking distance.

You should be adventurous in Penang & try some of the hawker food stalls as they can surprise you with their exceptional cuisine.

Another must eat place is Eidelweiss Cafe in the heritage area of Armenian Street in Georgetown. This is a Swiss restaurant & the food here is exceptional, the ambiance of the place exudes olde worlde charm & upstairs is a private museum, check out this review:

http://spy.my/penang/eidelweiss-cafe.html

Batu Ferringhi is not really a club med type resort & there are some nice dining destinations there such as the Ship & the many seafood restaurants.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang Food

Another place that does not look much but sells fantastic food close to E&O is the hawker stall next door to the pub Soho on the Penang Rd. It is called Sup Hameed & their soups & both legendary & scrumptious. My favourite here is their Oxtail soup & they serve it with 'doorstep' cuts of crusty bread.

For reviews on some Penang restaurants have a look at this site:

http://spy.my/penang/restaurants.html

If you like Chinese food you could try Kim Garry restaurant in Gurney Shopping Plaza, this popular eaterie is always full of happy customers scoffing their way through the extensive menu.

btw......you will love the E&O hotel, it was the forerunner to the famous Raffles hotel in Singapore, it is another old colonial Penang building that has stood the test of time & has a grand history.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang Food

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g660694-i11609-k22…

and also 'Top Questions about Penang' on the upper right of the Penang forum main page.

Near to E & O is the Red Garden Hawker Center in Leith Street. Across the road (sort of) is Passage thru India.

Hawker food on Gurney Drive is not so good and often overrated.

Mentioned in this post
Gurney Drive
Gurney Drive
228 Reviews
Penang, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang Food

I've got to agree about the red garden hawker centre as there is some great choices of great food, also you can access from either Leith St or the Penang Rd (opp Soho), on some nights there is also live entertainment there.

It has been some time since I have been to passage to India so not so sure about that, a few years ago it was very good though.

A dining experience that may be of interest to you is in the revolving restaurant on the top floor of the City Bay View hotel, again this is about 2 minutes walking distance from the E&O hotel.

Penang is a great choice for food lovers & there is a lot to get your teeth into, happy munchings:-)