We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Do any TA's know the location of the RAAF Hostel.I understand the original has been bulldozed. Happy tralis.

KL
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

People at this website might know, they have visited the new hostel (pictures at bottom)

raafschoolpenang.com/reunions/…324

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

G'day des_cho,thanks mate,I will give them a go.Happy trails.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

If you are talking about the old RAAF Hostel, I am told by a Penang local who I am working with in Singapore that it has been knocked down. If you are travelling to Penang try at the bottom of Jalan Fettes (south end) opposite Where Fatty Loh's Chicken Rice was as I understand that it has also gone. That's where It was in 1988 when I was in Butterworth.

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

G'day Work&play1,thanks mate.I'm sitting in the Hong Kong Bar in

Chulia street at the moment,and I've just been told it is at the bottom of Burma Road.With my luck I walked past the place this morning.

However all hints and tips will be appreciated.

Happy trails.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Heya foxhound363 -

I believe work&play1 is correct. I recalled the raaf building several times in the 80s and early 90s when it wasnt a boarded-up place. Wasnt sure if it was the hostel (as there could be other RAAF sites around Penang) but definitely associated with the RAAF (I actually remembered listening to RAAF radio in Penang!)

Having said that, a little googling came up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-dxUltMn9M

Having said that, it is gone sadly. Its just next to Island Plaza in Tanjung Tokong. If you are coming from Gurney, its around 500m (I reckon) in on the right.

Enjoy Penang

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Foxhound,

Yes the old "Hostie" at Tanjong Tokong has been demolished.

To locate the current one, have a look along Lebuhraya Codrington, Pulau Tikus on the left hand side from Burma Road. Forget the number.

Gaja

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Gaja

That's right i have been banging my head trying to remember the address

Foxhound if you keep a eye out you will see the flag pole and the guard on the gate they were very nice when we called in, showed us around

I knew it was close to Pulau Tikus Market

mosiewigs

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Gee,this is why I love this post,for every door that closes a dozen more open.To those who helped,I offer my sincerest thanks.

Anyway,I'm able to reply to this because of Jenny at the HK Bar in Chulia Street.No,this is not blatant advertising.Anyway,any TA's want to meet up for a beer,this is my watering hole,and has been since 1979.Happy trails everyone.I now have to do a search and destroy on roostown because we are about to have a boat cruise.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

Just happened to take a look at the Penang Forum today, and what memories you gave me. The Aussie Hostel was a second home to us Poms who lived in the Jalan Gajah area.

Happy New Year!

(Green Jackets (Infantry) Penang 1962-64.)

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location of RAAF Hostel Penang

To everyone,thank you very much.Went for a walk down Codrington and found it.I think we can now close this one because the eagle has landed and mission accomplished.Happy new year everyone and happy trails.