We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much does georgetown have to offer

Connecticut
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
how much does georgetown have to offer

Hello all

I'm leaving for a 3 week trip for Asia in 3 days, and towards the end of my trip I will spending 2 and a half days in Penang. I was wondering if I will need that whole time to explore Georgetown, or if I should just spend 1 and a half days in Georgetown and 1 day exploring the rest of the island.

I realize that there have been a number of posts similar to this in the past, but after reading through them I'm still hesitant to book a tour around Penang because I don't know if that would be the best way to spend my last day on the island.

If it helps at all, I love history and charming cities, but I am not the type to spend 3 hours in a museum, and do not feel the need to visit every single historical house in the city.

Thanks so much in advance!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

hi, we have a similar time in georgetown and wondered the same thing.what we have done is book ocean jupiter tours for a car and driver for 6-7 hours to take us around wherever we want.upon booking they send you a list of the popular sites and you can use that as a guide.have also booked them for airport transfer.

very reasonable prices- have fun on your trip, cheers

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

Hi colorlady -

You will love Penang in late January as that coincides with 1) Chinew New Year so lots of lanterns around etc 2) sunny warm weather

Have a look at this: visitpenang.gov.my/UnescoHeritageBrochure.pdf

Penang was made a World Heritage City a couple years back and lots of preservation and restoration going on. The core zone is like a little museum in itself. You will find yourself wondering from a gorgeous Chinese building to Hindu temples on the next street and an Islamic mosque thereafter. Thats what makes Penang a heritage city. Along the way, you can sample the different types of food that makes Penang the food capital of Malaysia.

You will definitely not feel like you are spending 3 hours in a museum.

Would defintely suggest just walking around the core zone itself - could take you about half a day to a full day if you take your time.

You will need a half day to visit Kek Lok Si Pagoda which is right in the heart of the island (20 mins cab ride from Georgetown) and another half a day to visit to northern parts. Reckon, thats already a full 2days.

Hope this helps

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

Personally I would not book a tour, I would just walk around Georgetown (and it is safe)! Fabulous!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

You could also visit some of the following:

Clan houses (such as Khoo Kongsi)

Burmese temple (and thai temple across the road)

Clan Jetties

Agree with above, if you don't mind walking its a great city for this in that you will discover so much more than if you were driven around.

There's also Penang Hill which you could either take a cab too or a bus.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

Thanks to everyone who replied!! Your info was very helpful.

6. Re: how much does georgetown have to offer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:22