We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Hi, we are a family with 2 kids (aged 3 and 10 months). We want to experience the food and check out the butterfly house and go up Penang hill - things our 3 year old would like). Only planning on being in Penang 2 full days (so 3 nights). My question is, do we stay at Batu Ferringhi so we are close to food then back to hotel for early bed time for kids or stay in Georgetown as more central to attractions?

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

"do we stay at Batu Ferringhi so we are close to food"

Not really sure what you mean by that...where did that come from? There are tons of places to eat in Georgetown.

Hi -

On a serious note, you dont really have much time in Penang - 2 days with a little on in tow - difficult.

So based purely on that and to save on transport and getting around - all the logisitics including the possibility of having to get easy access back to hotel to relax - I instincts suggest Georgetown.

You will definitely be able to cover more ground that way. A strong contender in this case (without knowing your budget) would be Bayview Georgetown. Its walking distance to the sights as well as the night food stalls in Red Garden and Sup Hameed.

Perhaps more information from you would help in terms of what you are looking for.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

I am on holiday here from the UK and I would,without a doubt, suggest GEORGETOWN. I am staying at Traders hotel and it has a great outdoor pool, sauna etc... and near to attractions. If it is too hot to walk then a taxi costs RM10 to the historic centre..We visited BF yesterday and it hasn't a patch on Georgetown. The food is also far more expensive so we came back to Georgtown to eat. Bayview hotel is more central though as you would have a pram and walking would be easier here.I found BF had no character.Georgetown is AMAZING.I am not sure why a 3 year old would like Penang hill though!

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

Rissanddan,

The monkeys sometimes are entertaining. A ride in the golf cart tour is a good way to see the hill and could appeal to a 3yo. Plus the train ride can be exciting, especially if you get a front seat. Bit like a roller coaster ride around the middle station on the way down.

Gaja

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

I would say stay in Georgetown if you can. As penangnite has said, you will be much closer to the food Penang is famous for in Georgetown rather than at BF.

Are you planning to go over to the mainland, specifically Bukit Merah? They have a water park there and some nature parks with orang utans. Click on 'Theme Park' in the following link.

http://www.bukitmerahresort.com.my/index.htm

5. Re: Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:42