We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

We will be in Penang for one day in late January on a cruise and reading makes me wish we were there much longer. I need some help on putting together a private tour. While here are many companies offering one day tours, they seem to always include beach time..thus, I'm trying to put together a tailored tour for us.

We live on a beach in Florida, so our focus in Lombek is on handicrafts, local markets and villages. I would love to include a fishing village (not a tourist one) on our tour and I love animals so monkeys or other would also be high on our priority list.

What should we do during our 8 hours in paradise?

Edited: 19 May 2012, 14:42
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

Contact Ocean Jupiter at enquiry@oceanjupiter.com. They can tailor a tour to fit your requirements. Two fishing villages that are at opposite ends of Penang Island are Teluk Bahang and Butu Maung. Monkeys can be readily seen at the botanical gardens and at the top of Penang Hill.

I would recommend Telok Bahang as you can include a walk in the Taman Negara Pulau Penang (where you might see wildlife), the Butterfly farm, spice garden and tropical fruit farm which are all close together.

Gaja

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

I forget to add,do try the local food. Khaleel Nasi Kandar at Teluk Bahang or the Boatman at Batu Ferringhi are two of my favourites or choose from the many food outlets throughout Penang. see FAQ's about food on the right.

Gaja

Pinjarra, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

I would agree a fishing village, the spice farm or fruit farm, snake temple. One day is nowhere near enough time. The coffee/ tea tour is good too

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

agree with Gaja ..contact Ocean Jupiter tell them your interstes ..they will pick you up from the ship and show you a good time round Penang

Bangkok
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

I agree with the others as far as places to visit go.

You can check out our monthly online magazine for events, festivals and places to visit.

www.whatsonpenang.com/online-magazine.html

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

Hi

Message for roostown like your new Photo

regards mosiewigs

7. Re: One day in Penang - what do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:15