We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tai Pusam

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tai Pusam

Hi guys,

My turn to ask some advice. Wanting to go to Penang in 2014. Wanting to go and see Tai Pusam. From memory it used to be held near the end of January. Research indicates it is based on the moon cycles. I know it's 15 months away but can anybody be more specific, Probably go for a fortnight.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,876 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tai Pusam

Two years ago, Thaipusam was on 30/1/10.

Last year, Thaipusam was on 20/1/11.

This year, Thaipusam was on 7/2/12.

Next year, Thaipusam is on 27/1/13.

For 2014, the date has yet to be confirmed, but you can surmise from the above its there or thereabouts.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 08:02
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tai Pusam

Phil,

Thaipusam is celebrated on the full moon of the 10th month in the Hindu calendar. It usually (but not always, as occurred this year) falls 14 days before Chinese New Year. CNY in 2014 falls on the 31 January so I assumed 16 Jan would be when Thaipusam will be celebrated and drikpanchang.com/festivals/… confirms.

Gaja

Edited: 29 September 2012, 10:04
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tai Pusam

Thanks guys,

Like to plan book and pay for trip well in advance but may have to wait a while, would really hate to miss the festival. Thanks for the site Gaja. Understand your over there at the moment? Intend going back myself before Xmas, place just keeps pulling me back. Thanks again

Phill

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tai Pusam

Phil,

Having a great time. Rained the first day and been fine and sunny since. Watched a thrilling AFL GF along with about 75 other Aussies at Parkroyal yesterday. Heading out to street market at top of Penang rd and lantern parade on Beach Street. We were in Penang for Thaipusam last year and will be returning next year. Thoroughly enjoy observing the participants and the colourful procession.

Gaja

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
937 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tai Pusam

Hi Phill,

I would advise you not to pay for that trip yet. While it is true Thaipusam usually falls 14 days before chinese new year, on certain years, it falls 14 days AFTER chinese new year e.g. in 2009. See www.onestopmalaysia.com/holidays-2009.html

Just wait until Aug/Sept 2013 when the exact date will be confirmed.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
937 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tai Pusam

Sorry Phill, forgot to add this: officeholidays.com/countries/…2014.html

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tai Pusam

Thanks gasman appreciate the help and the sites. That's what I love about Penang - the more you think you know a place the more you realise how much you don't know. Gives me an excuse to keep coming back. Again thanks.

Phill

8. Re: Tai Pusam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:18