We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang To Langkawi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Penang To Langkawi

Can somebody help me about by road distance between Penang and Langkawi? Also how much a taxi will charge and how much travel time it wil take?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang To Langkawi

I think you need to do some research on where you are going! Langkawi is an island. You most certainly can't get there by road. You can fly there or go by ferry but that's it.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Penang is an Island as is Langkawi. The easy way is to Fly or take the ferry. It is possible to take a taxi to Kuala Kedah, and then take the ferry to Langkawi. See: https://langkawi-ferry.com/Home/Schedule.aspx

Gaja

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Hi,

The island of Langkawi can be reached by sea and air. The Langkawi Jetty Point connects the island to main destinations like Kuala Perlis, Kuala Kedah, Penang.

The Langkawi International Airport is one of 7 international airports in Malaysia and connects the island to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Penang and also Subang.

No worries, it is like if to ask what is the road distance from Kochi to Agatti island(which I enjoyed very much the serenity and scenery over here)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Thanks for valuable information.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Hi Game,

I too would appreciate your advice about self driving in Penang. I am staying in Batu Ferringgi which is pretty remote so thought it would be useful to get around the island. But what about driving in general and especially in Georgetown? Having just been in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, I am hoping they drivers are not quite so crazy!

I live in the UK so driving on the left not an issue for me.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Hi Gaja

I too would appreciate your advice regarding driving in Penang. As I am going to be staying at Batu Feringgi I thought it would be helpful to get around the island, but wonder how manic it is driving and parking in Georgetown?

Thanks for any advice you can impart.:-)

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang To Langkawi

As you're from the UK you won't find driving on the left a problem. What you won't be used to will be the number of motor bikes which will be all around you. The technique is NOT to drive close to the pavement but always to leave plenty of room for them to drive alongside you on the left. Don't suddenly swerve to the left either and that way you should avoid the ones on your left. At traffic lights the bikes will come alongside you on both sides and will gather ahead of all the cars. They know the light sequences and will set off just ahead of the light change. It looks like a massed Grand Prix start sometimes! That's dealt with bikes. With regard to other cars on the road it's said that the smaller the car the less likely they are to use mirrors so be prepared for sudden lane changing in front of you. You need to be fairly aggressive too as nobody is going to give way to you. I could go on for hours about the other road users but those points should start you off.

When you drive down from Batu Ferringhi and hit Tanjung Bungah you'll start to see lane markings on the road. Do not take too much notice of them as they are basically guideline markings to indicate a lane might be narrowing down or another road joining. I find it best to ignore the markings altogether and drive according to where you feel you should be on the road. Drive it once and you'll see what I mean. The road is wide enough for two cars side by side so the road markings can't be for three cars.

With regard to parking in Georgetown I'd advise you to use car parks unless you have managed to buy the parking vouchers you need for roadside parking. And if you go to Gurney Drive do not be tempted to park on the roadside just because you see others parking there - you may find yourself being clamped.

Otherwise take it slowly and try and keep out of trouble. If you do get involved in anything try and sort it out amicably as going to the nearest police station can involve hours of paperwork.

Hope this helps.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Thanks heaps for replying and for your best advice! Its always worth having a little insider information. :-) Will certainly heed advice given and really look forward to visiting Penang! :-)

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang To Langkawi

My pleasure. I'm a Brit living on Penang so if I can drive there so can you :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang To Langkawi

Hi,

nice advice from PaperStoneScissors..now all Brits can drive in Penang..better than AirAsia's Everyone Can Fly.

Well, @calms1, guess those motorcycle riders in Penang follows a bit of the ones in Vietnam.

The parking part---guess PaperStoneScissors can advise on that..those times,when I drive into Penang from KL, and park around the bays close to the police station...a chap will come around, telling me how much kupang, then give him the coins...he writes this parking paper and place on windshield...if the fellow is not around, and one sees this parking paper, have to look for the pondok to pay the ticket.

Maybe they have now coin meter or parking coupons.

Haha..being aggressive..actually I got my driving lessons and also driving licence when I was studying in UK..then when I got back to KL..if following UK instructor lesson, I will never get to the next side of a road if on roundabout or crossing a junction--then the best part about parking that I learnt from UK--you know where one with both hands keeps rotating the steering wheel.

the small cars..there are on steroid..give them the respect.even you drive a high performance car..they want to have the "syok" feeling that they overtook you or tail gate you and flashing their headlights at you.