We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip few quistions

ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
First trip few quistions

We are finially going to go to Malayis next year. i have gootten a rough price off my travel agent.we normally go to the cairbeen so this will be a big change for us.

SO i have a few quistions

how much is a btl of bear in a local bar and restraunt?

Our travel agent is recommend 5 night in the Golden sand and this does look nice, or should we do a few nights in georgetown as well so may be 4 nights in golden sand and 3 nights in georgetown.

We like to lie out do a few day trips and like a to eat out and have a few drinks every night we mostly drink beer.

I have hear that penang is expensive but how much a btl of beer here in ireland is normally around €4.50 or 19.67RM is 200€ per day 874rm enough or do i need to raise my budget all trips will have been payed for so this is just for food,drink and of course some shopping.

Thanks for all your help

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip few quistions

You don't need to worry, and I suspect you'll end up taking a lot of money home with you. Penang is really not that expensive.

To give you an idea a can/bottle of beer will cost from RM6 upwards depending on where you eat.

If you eat out at a hawker centre you can pay as little as RM5 for a plate of food. You might want to eat a couple of items each so budget RM30-40 for two of you. If you drink beer you can easily double your bill but that will still be less than RM100.

In a Chinese or Indian restaurant you can pay around RM50 for both of you. Drinks will be more.

If you go somewhere like Ferringhi Gardens in Batu Ferringhi (and you should - beautiful garden setting) expect to pay something like RM25-40 for a main course. You can buy beer and wine there or take your own wine. Corkage charge applies.

Should you want to be extravagant and eat at one of the best places on Penang, you can go for the 6 course tasting menu at Macalister Mansion in Georgetown where the meal, with flight of wine, will be about RM200 each. At RM400 it would still be half your daily budget with plenty left for a taxi (maybe RM70 for return trip) and still leave you loads for lunch etc.

Hope this helps to reassure you.

ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip few quistions

Thanks for that would you stay in georgetown for a few days or would you just day on the beach

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip few quistions

I'm really not the best person to ask, as I live here, but let me ask you a few questions which may help you decide. I see you are also going to Langkawi.

1 Why Malaysia? Are you coming for the beaches, the food, the heritage, the culture or what?

2. If you're coming for the beaches Batu Ferringhi and Langkawi will suit you. Golden Sands is a friendly family orientated hotel, but if that gets too much for you you can use their sister hotel next door, the Rasa Sayang. Much quieter and more "adult".

3 Do you just want to spend 10 days on the beaches? Do you want lots of bars in the evenings? If so go with your choices.

4 Are you coming for the food and heritage? If so choose Georgetown. If your budget allows, staying at Traders will get you a free shuttle to the Rasa Sayang and Golden Sands where you can use their facilities so you'll get the best of both.

Georgetown is the place to be if you want to do all the heritage bits and take part in the many festivals. It's also easier to get up to Kek Lok Si and Penang Hill from there, or down the island to Batu Maung, Balik Pulau etc. You can easily spend a fortnight doing the sights. It might help you choose how long to spend on Penang v Langkawi.

You can get down to Georgetown from Batu Ferringhi by bus or taxi. Allow 30-60 minutes depending on mode and traffic. If you think you'll want to spend more time in Georgetown half way between in Tanjung Bungah might suit you. You'll still get beaches and food, but your evening bar choice will be more limited. There are 4 main hotels - Flamingo (who have just done some renovation which look good), Rainbow, Copthorne and Four Points by Sheraton.

So list all the things you want to do in each place and then decide where and for how long.

As for when to come have a look at the festivals and see if anything interests you. The Hungry Ghost festival is great fun and runs from 27th July - 24th August. The Georgetown Festival runs throughout August and there's always lots going on in Georgetown. Merdaka Day is 31st August. The Lantern Festival is on the 8th September. Deepavali is on 23rd October and the Nine Emperor Gods Festival runs from 24th October - 1st November. Try and be here for at least one of those.

As a final point I wouldn't book up sight seeing trips through your travel agent in Ireland. You'll get much better deals locally and many of the things you can do on your own rather than get rushed round in a mini bus.

ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip few quistions

We are into both my husband is into history and nature i love nice beach and food.Yes we do like bars and restraunts at night we are not into going to a hotel and not moveing for the week we like to see things and meet local.

I always try to book out trips by companys that are recommend on the forum i think the one that the travel agent recommends are just too busy i like small crowds.

Which is the better month to go in august last few weeks in set or oct.

Thanks so much for all your information.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip few quistions

Which month? Well, the weather stays a fairly constant 32C all year round, with more or less rain according to the time of year. August - October are usually the wettest, but that doesn't mean rain every day or all day. And if it does rain it doesn't always last all day. Both Penang and Langkawi are mountainous islands so if the wind is blowing the "wrong" way you'll get rain, and if it's blowing the other way it will be fine. You can't predict is so don't let it put you off. Just choose a month when there's something interesting going on.

ireland
Level Contributor
713 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip few quistions

We will i will take a look at the weekend.thanks

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip few quistions

We have just returned from there. Suggest the Holiday Inn, Beachside if you can. Really nice. Great breakfasts etc. Also you can get a great beer by the pool. Very relaxing. Also night markets at the front door. Great eating places as well. They also have a free shuttle into Georgetown in the morning but you must book especially at the weekends.

Also if you are into History we discovered a place called the Time Tunnel. Google it or I can possibly get you the address etc. Well worth going to see. It is all about the History of Penang. Really well worth while going. It is new I believe for Penang.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip few quistions

The Time Tunnel (Pinaon Time Tunnel) opened a few months ago. It's at 39 Jalan Green Hall in Georgetown. Visiting hours 9.30 to 7.00pm with last admissions at 6pm. Website http://pinaontimetunnel.com/

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
851 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip few quistions

Just to add a few info.

If you are heading to Langkawi, the beer is cheaper than a glass of orange juice and the beach is much better than Penang.

Honestly, don't worry about beer. Its cheap compare to Europe. Wine on other hands, might be a bit expensive.

10. Re: First trip few quistions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:15