We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Langkawi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Langkawi

Hi,

Can you do a day trip to Langkawi from Penang? Can you provide details if you have been and what are some things to do in Langkawi whilst there.

Thanks

Pino

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

Pino, if you mean going back and forward on the same day…. well I think, although it is possible that you’d have hardly any time on Langkawi at all. The boats operate at set times and the crossing takes a good two hours (maybe even longer), and I think I am right in saying that if you took the first boat from Penang and the last boat from L’kawi you would only have a couple of hours at most to explore. I tend to just blob in L’kawi, so I’ll leave someone else to fill you in on what’s to do there. There is however more than enough to keep you occupied for a night or two (or if you like tranquility a week or two!).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

M2006,

Thanks. As i will be travelling with my 18 month old son, I think a dap trip will be too stressful for all of us. May consider 1 or 2 nites or just stay in Penang.

Thanks

Pino

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
342 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

When we last syayed in Penang we got an early "fast" ferry hired a car for the day ( 5hrs) saw loads of the island and had lunch at a restaurant in the mangrove swamps ..... an interseting but yes ...long day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

Pino, as you will be travelling with a 18months child, a day trip to Penang on the ferry could be rather taxing.

Day trip to Langkawi from Penang, have two areas of objectives:-

One:- just going to the marine island at Pulau Payar.

Two:- One that goes to Kuah jetty, then your sightseeing takes place, to different sights, with the view of catching the ferry back to Penang. Sights here encompass eco, cable car, islands hops, shopping in Kuah town, Telaga Harbour, blacksand beach, underwater world, Mahsuri tomb, bird park.

Maybe after the hustle and bustle of a cosmopolitan city in Penang, you may wish to have some adjustment in Langkawi. Though in town, but since you will be staying in a Bayview property in Batu Ferringhi, you could check if you could get an attractive rate for its property in Kuah town in Langkawi.

However, if you want convenience of eateries in close proximity and also a property fronting a beach, you could check out hotels/resorts located along Pantai Cenang and PAntai Tengah. Notable properties here are (1)Meritus Pelangi Beach and Spa Resort, (2).Casa Del Mar, (3)Frangipani, (4)Holiday Villa, (5)Lanai- each with its corresponding room rates to cater to your budget. The high end here is (1) and (2).

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

There are v.cheap flights from Penang to Langkawi; 15 mins flight time and you can check in 30 mins beforehand

I obviously wouldn't fly for a day trip, but for an overnight or two nights its fine

It's primarily a beach place - there is an aquarium between pantai cenang and tengah, and a waterfall, and they filmed some of Anna and the King (Jodie Foster movie) there, and you can visit the old film set

I'm pretty sure there's a crocodile farm as well, but it's been a while

Pelangi Beach resort is a great place to stay, and try the Thai food generally in Langkawi - it's good.

6. Re: Day trip to Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 20:17