We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Penang alone

Perth WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Penang alone

I have been to Penang 3 times before with my husband and am thinking of going by myself in September as he will be very busy working. I have never traveled overseas alone before though am well traveled. Anyone else been to Penang by themselves? Was it a good experience?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,693 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

I have traveled all over Malaysia on my own..... but, I am male (last time I looked).

No reason for things to be any different vis M / F travel - you are never alone if you have a backpack and travel with similar types.

If you choose to stay in 3* 4* 5* hotels, you will be lonely as they tend to be sanitised.

Head for the backpacker places for company.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

Hi perthtraveller55,

I am not long back after nine days' holiday in Malaysia, travelling solo, six of those on Penang. I found everyone helpful and kind and I suspect that a solo female traveller would also not have any problems. There are the commonsense personal security things to take care about, but otherwise I think you will have a great time. A trip without the spouse gives you the chance to enjoy just what YOU want to do :-)

Safe travels.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

hiya perth traveller how u duin well iv been going to malaysia for the last few years on my own,iv stayed in all class of hotels and guest houses and backpackers as well and got to say never had any trouble or harrasment what so ever in fact when a lot of people find out you are travelling alone they tend to help more!!

i love going on my own you make so many new friends ,

where will you be staying ??

alls you have to remember is keep your wits about you dont take any risks and dont go near dodgy areas at night ,

just remember enjoy iv got to wait 6 months and 10 days before i go back

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

Maggie, you didn't mention that some of your new friends are a little weird (hehehe). Can't wait to catch up in 6 months and just over 10 days at the Hong Kong Bar ;o)

Perthtraveller55 - go for it!!!

I haven't done Penang solo but did a month in Central Java (booked myself into a language school for 3 weeks, stayed in a homestay, did all my own touring) and it was fantastic!

Penang as a solo traveller would be a much easier trip than Central Java as there is more use of English, easy to use public transport, plenty of accommodation options that can actually be easily booked online.

I would not hesitate even for a second to go to Penang solo - in fact if it gets to a point where I feel the need to hop on a plane and Sabrina or my best friend aren't available, I will happily go by myself, to Penang or Kuala Lumpur or Langkawi or Sabah. Malaysia (so long as you use common sense) has got to be one of the safest countries to travel in (the streets at night are - sadly - safer than Perth night spots at the moment - would you walk Northbridge or Fremantle alone).

The only down side to solo travel is when you get back home you don't have stories to tell that are shared with someone, however you can share your stories with others (if that makes sense)!

Have an awesome time (see, positive thoughts that you will take the plunge)...

Lise

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

hiya lisa i couldnt mention the weird mates i kick about with in penang!!!! that certainly would put them off!! solo trip tp penang!! xx

6. Re: Traveling to Penang alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:17