We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Penang now....Patrick Ung

victoria
Level Contributor
122 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
In Penang now....Patrick Ung

We had the pleasure of meeting Patrick two days ago. My husband had sunglasses made. Fantastic service. I actually thought alot of comment on Trip Advisor may have been made up., Could not have been more wrong.!! He is a gem.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

We thought exactly the same thing before we went to Vision First - that the comments seemed over-the-top... However when we met him, we learned they were true. I guess we just can't comprehend that level of service, value, and range when coming from what is available over here.

Lise & Sabrina

Perth
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Hello

Does anyone know if you can claim on your medical fund here in Australia for prescription glasses purchased in Malaysia? Has anyone tried?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

i went to patrick on the advice of esorlegin and what a good call that was,im the sort of person listens to what you have to say about someone then i go try myself if i dont like it at least i have tried it for my self, this is what i did with patrick and co and its the best thingi did roll on feb 2011

say hi to patrick from maggieomx

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Hi there.

Just called into HBF with my receipt from KL and they do not cover purchases of any glasses purchased overseas.

Dont know about the other medical funds.

Cheers. Danuta.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Hi NannaMD,

We very very much doubt any health fund in Australia would cover you for glasses purchased overseas, however keep in mind that even without the rebates you are making huge savings getting your glasses made in Malaysia.

Sabrina's multifocal, transitions glasses cost her A$800+ in Perth, she got A$110 back from HBF. Multifocal, transitions glasses with choice of lens (she chose French which are meant to be best quality for multifocals) and designer frames cost A$305 at Vision First in Penang (with standard lenses they would have been even cheaper).

I managed to get two pairs of glasses at Vision First for a little under A$180 (total for the two pairs), both with high density (thinner) lenses! In Australia the lenses alone cost me around A$220 for one pair. Even with HBF covering frames glasses in Perth cost me out of pocket around A$200-ish.

Lise (& Sabrina)

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Hi Lise,

Did Patrick test your and Sabrina's eyes first, or did you take your prescriptions with you? From personal experience I know it can be tricky getting multifocals right, but I assume Sabrina quickly got used to the new specs? I'm looking to get the Transitions lenses too, as the savings seem too good to pass up.

Regarding health funds: I'm with HCF, and they will only pay a claim if you go to someone with a "Provider Number", which rules out anyone outside of Australia.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

hiya nibbles how u duin? yep patrick tests your eyes , he does a very thourgh job as well , i took my prescription with me just so i didnnt waste his time but he insisted on testing my eyes which is all free,

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Hey Nibbles,

We both had our eyes tested on our first visit (our Perth optometrists don't automatically give us copies of our prescriptions), my best friend just took in her specs and they read her prescription from those.

The eye test result was better than our results here in Perth. My glasses prescription here was wrong (which I blame partly on me, partly on the optometrist) and while I can wear my glasses, they are just not quite right. Sabrina's glasses are perfect, she has gotten used to the multifocal and doesn't even do the head tilt anymore ;o)

At Vision First we were first put on a little computer machine thingo which has a blurry farmhouse you look at through the eye-pieces. The little farmhouse goes clear three times and the machine does a print-out. Apparently this little device tests your eyesight three times and is correct 90% of the time (it was perfect two out of three times for me).

Patrick then uses that result as a starting point and further refines from there. He is very thorough - he believes it is very very important to be able too see properly.

When you buy your glasses there is a 12 month warranty on manufacture faults. One of my lenses developed crazing (which sometimes happens with the high density lenses) and there was no problem replacing them. We also have friends where the Husband has chipped his lens with a tile and Patrick even offered that they could post them to him and he would see what he could do to fix them at lowest cost possible, he would then post them back to Australia.

If you're heading to Penang, why not at least have a look at his (insanely huge) range of frames, and if something tickles your fancy, get some glasses. If you want your eyes tested, it may be worthwhile calling first to say you are coming in to make sure Patrick will be in the shop - sometimes he is out and about picking people up, servicing customers etc...

Lise & Sabrina

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Please do not take any jam with you - Patrick & Stella's daughters just LOVE jam.

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Penang now....Patrick Ung

Thanks Lise and Maggie,

We'll definitely look in on Patrick and check out the frames.

Nibbles

Get answers to your questions about George Town