We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Penang to Singapore

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bournemouth
Level Contributor
74 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Penang to Singapore

Hi we are travelling to Penang in May and want to get a visit to Singapore in and wondered if it were better to go by rail or fly. We have had mixed reports we would like to see something of the countryside but have been told there is not much to see, and as time is limited we don,t want ot waste it on a long journey if there is nothing of interest any help would be appreciated Ros

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Penang to Singapore

ros1smith,

It looks like you have two choices open to you here. The exact train journey is around thirteen hours Butterworth to Singapore. If you depart at 8am you will arrive in Singapore by 9pm.

www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

In terms of there not being a great deal to see, I would have to say if you are travelling at night maybe, but I like to feel that by travelling overland by train (at least once) you experience a different lay of the land rather than just flying point to point.

However, if you are limited by time then you should consider Air Asia, especially if you can buy your ticket early enough, even better in the sale.

www.airasia.com

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Penang to Singapore

Perhaps the best answer i can offer is few do the rail trip more than once ! It is a long and tedious trip with little to see other than the endless miles of palm oil plantations. Some view a bus trip better, the level of comfort on some is especially good, but although a little shorter time wise it is still a very long day. My recommendation would be to take advantage of the current Air Asia sale and spend your extra day in Singapore.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
74 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Penang to Singapore

Thank you all once again you trip advisors come to the rescue. I wondered wht we would have done without your valuable imput many thanks to you all

4. Re: Travelling from Penang to Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:18