We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
shopping

Could anyone tell me if Penang has the same sort of shopping as KL?

We have spent the last 2 christmases in KL and the shopping at BB plaza, Sungei wang and Times square etc was just amazing.

We will be staying at Noordin mews in Georgetown.

Thank you.

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping

Did you happen to write out a list of prices for KL?.....(like you have for Bali)...would love to have a copy if you did :)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping

There is good shopping in Penang

Gurney Plaza, Quensbay Mall,Prangin Mall to name a few.

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping

Thank You Nairobi.

Weary, I didn't do a list because we just shopped in fixed price.

Aside from the centers, I did go to Peter hoe which I loved and that was fixed price too.

We went to Chinatown and found it very in your face and full of knock offs, didn't buy much there and in fact much prefer bb plaza and sungai Wang.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping

GurneyPplaza and Queensbay are both more the upmarket ...Prangin more the local type where you can pick up bargains...the night markets at batu ferringhi for copies....Prangin Mall most will bargain with you but not so at Queensbay or Gurney

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping

Is Peter Hoe a department store?

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping

Ok so prangin it is :) any idea of prices at the night markets?

Peter hoe is a gorgeous very large homewares shop in Chinatown area above the popular bookstore.

There is a second smaller shop around the corner.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
446 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping

I have done both penang and kl quite a few times. For similar shopping to the times square sunwegi go to pranghi mall its so cheap and very asian!! Love it. For more twin towers shopping gurnet plaza is similar got cheap and upper market. And there was a new one next to gurney getting built last year when we were there in september maybe finished looked really nice good food outlets.any shopping to me over there is great due to being little. Queensbay is a long way out and similar to all the other shopping malls. Have a great time.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
446 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping

I have done both penang and kl quite a few times. For similar shopping to the times square sunwegi go to pranghi mall its so cheap and very asian!! Love it. For more twin towers shopping gurnet plaza is similar got cheap and upper market. And there was a new one next to gurney getting built last year when we were there in september maybe finished looked really nice good food outlets.any shopping to me over there is great due to being little. Queensbay is a long way out and similar to all the other shopping malls. Also market prices have become very set pricing. DVDS are 4RM if I remember correctly, mens t shirts roughly 30RM and dresses roughly anywhere between 15RM to 50RM we always go to the same people each year our loyality pays off get great deals we dont tend to buy bags etc sorry. Have a great time.

Perth
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping

Thank you, is good to have an idea if we do buy at markets.

Sounds like prangih is what I'm looking for :)

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping

Prangin Have more variety compare to Queensbay and Gurney.