We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

I will be staying at Evergreen Lauren Hotel in George Town.

May I know which is recommended? Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill? Some people mentioned that Bukit Genting hill is actually better than penang hill. Is it true?

May I know if we Penang Hill and Ke Lok Si temple, where else can we visit that is on the way? Will getting a tour on this area the best option? Can bus reach penang hill and Ke Lok Si Temple?

If we are going to Bukit Genting Hill, where else can we go that is nearby?

Thank you very much!

Mentioned in this post
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Penang Hill
Penang Hill
6,575 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Not sure why the owner calls it "Bukit Genting Hill", because "Bukit" already means "Hill" in Malay.

Basically it is a Thai seafood restaurant located on a hilltop with some animal sculptures and panoramic views to the southern part of the island. Difficult to get to if you have no transport as you need to drive up yourself.

Penang Hill is served by the RapidKL buses and you go up by funicular railway. On a clear day you get good views of George Town from up top and even the mainland across the straits. Kek Lok Si Temple which is nearby also can be combined with a trip to Penang Hill.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Hill
Penang Hill
6,575 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Kek Lok Si Temple
Kek Lok Si Temple
3,289 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Kek Lok Si and Penang Hill are within Ayer Itam area and can be reached by Rapid bus from Komtar or Weld Quay transport hub. You can ask the staff there for the bus number.

Bukit Genting is on a different part of the island, nearer to the airport but can only be reached by private transport.

Bukit Genting is a privately run Thai restaurant cum guesthouse with a themed garden on a hilltop . Advisable to get a four wheeler with a driver as the road is rather narrow and windy. It is known for the gorgeous sunset view, so the best time is to arrive around 6pm and followed up with an average Thai cuisine dinner.

Bukit Genting is on the way to Balik Pulau, which is visited for their durians, so nothing much there unless you like to see trees and kampungs.

Advisable to have a reservation if you intend to vist Bukit Genting during the weekends and holidays.

Google and facebook has the details and pics .

Mentioned in this post
Penang Hill
Penang Hill
6,575 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Komtar
Komtar
707 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Thank you Cassandra,

So if I am going to pinang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple, I can just take bus. Do i need one wholeday to cover this place? is there any lunch or dinner place that we can go on this trip?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kek Lok Si Temple
Kek Lok Si Temple
3,289 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Hi Jadamros,

Thank you. Seems that many people will still go to Pinang Hill and Kek Lok Si temple right? Do i need 1 whole day to cover Pinang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kek Lok Si Temple
Kek Lok Si Temple
3,289 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

I allocate about 4 hours to visit both the Hill and Temple.

Gaja

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
928 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

Dear Snowymango,

30 minutes drive to Penang hill around 7am (weekdays add another 30minute for traffic). 15 minutes going up the Penang hill by tram. wonder around up there (+ photo) 45 minutes to 1 hrs before head back down.

Then, 10 minutes drive to Kek LoK si. 1-1.30hrs at Kek Lok si. Nearby is air itam market. Plenty of food available and a famous laksa stall there.

If you go early (say 7am start your journey). By 11am you should complete both and on the way back.

If you take public bus. Roughly by 2-3pm you should reach hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Hill
Penang Hill
6,575 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
7. Re: Bukit Genting Hill or Penang Hill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 07:44