We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: Getting ard in penang

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RE: Getting ard in penang

sorry hp typo error...I will be in penang next week for 4days. Staying near Georgetown glow penang hotel. Wanna check how do I go to Armenia St,church St fm my hotel? Is within walking distance or need to take a bus, what bus no do i need to take? Then how do I get to these places of interest like penang hill,Kek lo si, gurney plaza, gurney paragon, 1st avenue, prangin mall and etc.kindly advise. Thanks

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Pick up a street map (airport if you're flying, hotel if not) and you'll see you can walk to the places in Georgetown such as 1st Avenue, Prangin Mall, Armenian Street etc. There's a one way system operating in the middle of Georgetown which can make walking quicker some of the time, and that way you'll pass places you hadn't thought of seeing and you'll get to see more of the street art.

Gurney Plaza and Paragon Mall are next to each other with Kelawai Road running up one side and Gurney Drive the other. You can take a bus or taxi there.

For Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si take a bus or taxi. Your hotel will tell you the nearest bus stop. Personally I'd take a taxi to Kek Lok Si and negotiate a price for the driver to wait for you (minimum time an hour) and then to drive you on to Penang Hill. Most taxis prefer to do this as they waste time otherwise having to go back down to Georgetown with an empty cab.

Let the taxi go at Penang Hill and when you come back down you'll find plenty hanging around or you can take the bus back.

George Town...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

You can get to these places by taking Rapid Penang to KOMTAR, which is just near your hotel. You have to wait for the bus across the road. A few buses such as 101 will pass there. The buses will go straight to the end point, Weld Quay (or Jetty), and you can go around the heritage area.

To go to the other places, alight at the chinese temple, which is just 5 mins bus ride from the hotel.Cross the road together with the other pedestrians. Most of them will make their way to the KOMTAR bus terminal, so just follow them. 1st Avenue and Prangin Mall is at KOMTAR.

Wait for 304 at the chinese temple earlier to to Gurney Plaza and Paragon. Note that the bus will stop at the roundabout, and you have to walk to the 2 malls which is just nearby.

At the bus terminal:

1. take 204 to Penang Hill.

2. 201, 203, 204, 502 will take you to Kek Lok Si

3. If you want to go to the airport, wait for 401, 401E or 102. Its faster to take 401E as it uses the coastal highway.

4. There is another mall down south, Queensbay Mall, which is away from the city. wait for 401E, 307, and 304. Both 401E and 307 uses the highway.

5. If you want sandy beaches, take 101 or 102 to Batu Feringgi. Note that 102 stops at different lanes at KOMTAR terminal depending on if it is going up to Batu Feringgi or down to the airport.

At Weld Quay (or Jetty), you can take the free shuttle which circles the heritage area and you can explore the city on the go. Board and alight the bus anytime you like.

Enjoy your trip here in Penang! Cheers.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Thanks for the info

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Thanks for the info. How long is the bus interval for all the bus Nos that u mentioned above? Thise bus to quuenbay, if goes by highway roughly how long does it takes to reach queenbay?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Look up everything you want to know here

http://www.rapidpg.com.my/

George Town...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Yes, like PaperStoneScissors said, u can get the schedule at their website. And to answer your question, from KOMTAR to Queensbay via highway, it takes around 30 minutes smooth traffic.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

Good morning all, Wow I have taken note of all this thanks for the information and I did not even need to ask. I love TA forums they are full of so much information for the new traveller. I have only 6 months to go and I can hardly wait - this will be our first visit to Penang. Keep up the great work it certainly saves me asking stupid questions you guys are the greatest.

Keza

8. Re: RE: Getting ard in penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about George Town