We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

I'm sure this must have been discussed at some point but i am wondering if i should be concerned about safety in Sabah in light of advice against travel currently being given out by various countries?

granted the advice is in relation to eastern sabah- but should i be worried if considering having my honeymoon in the kota kinabalu area? We dont want to be resticted to staying in the resort and would like to be able to visit different areas of wildlife and scenery

UK FCO says - take extreme caution in easter n sabah, while the USA, AUS & NZ i think are advising against all unecessary travel.

is there some risk in other areas of sabah?

is anyone else having doubts?!

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

The body who gave advices has not even been to this part of the world:Having said that they are not at all qualify to advise anything in relation to travel.

The people and places that you intended to visit are very peace loving people and very friendly.

Come and see for yourself by all means so that you will have a better understand of this part of the world .

Do not be a frog in the well.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

Don't have any doubts

This topic raises it's ugly head on this form now and again. The responses are always the same. Sabah is a very safe place.

I have been to Sabah 3 times in the last 4 years and am going again in 3 weeks.

I have never felt threatened in any way and find the people to be very friendly. I always feel very safe there as must the tens of thousands of tourists that go there every year and the number of people I meet that have been there many times.

The Australian advice has been the same since at least 2003.

Darwin Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

Agree with BigW. Since 2004 have been going to Sabah regularly for both work and leisure, including two self-drive holidays travelling east, west, north and south. Currently making arrangements for another 3 weeks of self-driving bliss in April.

Common sense and care guarantees that you'll be as safe in Sabah as anywhere in the world, and you'll meet some of the friendliest and most helpful people you're ever likely to encounter.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

Hi aGlasgowGirl

The threats warned against in Sabah are not much from within Sabah itself as it is from the southern Phillipines where rebels every now and again make some trouble (haven't heard about anything for the longest of time though).

Ever since an abduction incident now almost 8 years ago however, the Sabah & Malaysian government have been very pro-active in patrolling the waters seperating these areas and no major incidents have taken place since. The navy and other security forces are also fairly visibly stationed on popular tourist islands with regular patrols, just in case. The travel advisories are as annoying and unwelcome as they are unnecesary - a sore point with the tourism industry here.

The people of Sabah themselves are possibly some of the friendliest in the world. There are isolated incidents of pick-pocketing in the most crowded areas, as there are in much of the world, but some travel smart will prevent even this.

You can therefore come and enjoy your trip to Kota Kinabalu and Sabah with the peace of mind for your safety and security.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

Thanks everyone,

its a place i've been getting really excited about the prospect of visiting so its good to hear from people with first hand experience!

i suppose the authorities have to 'cover' themselves in case anything happens.... although these days anything could happen anywhere- I'm probably more at risk of something happening in the UK!

thanks again :-)

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

My partner and I have travelled independently within Sabah 4 times in the last 5 years, including the East coast and islands three times. As previously stated, the Malaysian goverment are well on the ball with inconspicuous enclaves of military within the main islands and resorts. (When we stay on Mabul they always seem to be playing volley ball it's so quiet, nice work if you can get it)!

As for Kota Kinabalu and the West coast, even if there was a serious threat on the East coast, (which there isn't) it would be similar to not visiting Kent in England because of the troubles in Northern Ireland during the troubles.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

purfecttune thanks for your advice!

its a shame these warnings are still in force as it mgiht put some people off what otherwise sounds like an amazing place to visit

8. Re: Safety in Sabah? (Borneo, Malaysia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:26