We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

We were considering 3 nights at both BRL and Kinabatangan River Lodge - is this too much? We are looking at doing 5 days diving around Sipidan, 3 nights BRL, 3 nights KRL, then 1 night Sandakan before flying back to KK for some beach time. Should we just do 2 nights in KRL and BRL and find something else to do around KK?

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

hi there

I have just done this exact trip and would say that this length of time is perfect. The brl is fabulous so you really do need 3 nights there. The kinabatangan river area is also fab , IMHO it's much better to spend your time there.

regards

ire123

San Francisco
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

We just came back from a 2 week trip to Sabah and did 2 nights at BRL and 2 nights at Kinabatangan River. We thoroughly enjoyed Kinabatangan and the wildlife on the river, we saw orang utans (mom with baby) way up on a tree top, lots of hornbills, probiscis monkeys and river otters, quite awesome. Borneo Rainforest Lodge was a disturbing place, I am sorry to have to report. On the way to the lodge, we counted 50 full loaded logging trucks on their way out, it was quite unbelievable. We counted and counted, all the while hoping that that would be the last truck, unfortunately, it went on for quite a while. The entire atmosphere of the resort was not peaceful as expected in a nature park, on the contrary, both my husband and I could not sleep but sensed the crying spirit of the rainforest. The entire time we were there, we felt sad and mounrnful of the tragic lost and could not wait to get out of there. We read some great reviews of Borneo Rainforest Lodge, not sure when they were written but we were really saddened to witness the train of logging trucks. When will the logging stop ? Please help spread the word and stop the logging at Danum Valley !!!! That was the message we received from the spirit of the Borneo Rainforest Lodge ! The trees cannot speak but we can speak for them !

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

Thanks for the reply IRL123 - now I'm wishing we had done 3 nights at Kinabatangan but 2 will have to do. Heading out tomorrow...wish us luck.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

The last time I was at the BRL it was made clear that they have a program of planting trees for those that they cut down. Every tree that is planted gets a reference number and is recorded. The replanting areas were huge.

Perhaps the previous poster traveled in on the one day that the logging trucks were making a mass transit, after all, they have to be subsequently shipped and logistics dictate that the loads have to be large.

I am totally against the logging of rainforests but realisticly, you cannot stop it. At least the Danum Valley is taking steps to control it.

Also, I believe that the money received from visitors goes towards future enviromental projects in the area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

Just wanted to follow up on my original post now that we've returned from our trip. We stayed at KRL for 2 nights, BRL for 3. We enjoyed being on the boat at KBL for the morning and evening boat trips, but there's really nothing else to do during the day so we were a bit bored. We thought 2 nights was enough at KRL. There's probably better accomodation in the Kinabatangan area (Proboscis Lodge looked very nice from the river anyway).

BRL was nice, more upmarket, but no A/C. More to keep occupied with, and enjoyed our 3 nights there, but don't think we would have wanted to do more than 3 nights. We saw lots of logging trucks as well, but I guess the world needs its wood...

We found out they log the big trees using helicopters, so the falling trees don't damage the rest of the forest. Also, those big trucks only hold one tree each, our guide said they cut about 50 a day but they are always replanting so its supposedly going to renew itself...

Kota Kinabalu
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

I have been to BRL and Kinabatangan area doing surveying works for cellular Mobile coverage using Satellite, sad to say soon these Nature reserves will be gone due to illegal logging activities and lack or minimal reforestration(replanting).

The wild animals you see will soon have no place to live as these loggers will have no care for nothing other than money. These logs usualy travels from Danum Valey and all the way out at Mt.Silam in Lahad Datu.

In the near future the BRL tourist attraction being the nature and the forest will soon be gone when all the giant trees are being taken down.

The goverment gazetted these areas as reserves, but it also due to Political ploy that allows these illegal logging activities to go on.

This issue must be told to the world, most especially by the visitors and foreign tourist in order to have some international pressure on the existing problem.

Save the forest, Save the world.

7. Re: Borneo Rainforest Lodge and Kinabatangan area - how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 20:19