We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laban Rata really fully booked ?

Level Contributor
270 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Laban Rata really fully booked ?

I am touring Sarawak from mid-September and then going to Sabah on 25th. I want to climb Mt Kinabalu but the Sutera Lodge site appears to have NIL vacancies at Laban Rata up on the mountain for any night in the following week.

It seems from previous posts that tour operators frequently overbook. I will check again with Sutera but - worst case - I will bus out to Mt K, stay one night at the base (or just outside) and check with Park HQ about possible bed at Laban Rata. If no bed - I would simply trek up to Laban Rata and then come back to base. Obviously this misses the summit, but I have trekked in Nepal and NZ so I would be OK with just the views from two-thirds of the way up.

Does this make sense ? - on the offchance that there WILL be a bed at Laban Rata on the day ?

I then aim to go to Sepilok, not Poring Hot Spring. I assume I could catch an express bus from near Mt K Park HQ.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
50 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laban Rata really fully booked ?

Yes, demand for beds at 10,000 feet is very very high.

You should contact the via-feratta company and see if they have beds. Its a bit more expensive but you can do the summit climb and also a longer trek around the side of the mountain...

An alternative worth thinking about.

2. Re: Laban Rata really fully booked ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 04:16