We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mabul Island Safe?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is Mabul Island Safe?

Hi! My partner and I are going to stay on Mabul Island for 5 days as part of our honeymoon in July this summer. We are really excited as we have heard that it is amazing, although I am a bit worried about the safety there as I have heard various reports about previous kidnappings etc.

I imagine that it will be no more or less safe than when I travel in to London for work, but I am a bit scared about the idea of being a "sitting duck" on a remote island! Can anybody advise me of how they have felt when visiting Mabul Island?

Many Thanks, Samantha

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mabul Island Safe?

Hi, Mabul is very safe, we've stayed there last year at Mabul Water Bungalows (MWB)(best resort on Island) and also stayed on Sipadan (Fantastic diving)in '03, before it was shut and we're off to MWB again end of March. The Malaysian Navy patrol in the area and spotter planes are around but you should not worry about being safe, worry more about how anyone will believe you when you say you dived with 20+ Turtles!! Dive Sipadan, take a camera and have fun

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mabul Island Safe?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response - that's put my mind at rest a lot and I can't wait to go!!!!!!

Sam

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mabul Island Safe?

I have stayed in a homestay on Mabul several times including last year and there is no feeling of threat at all. All resort areas and islands have an enclave of 'discreet' Malaysian militia with regular boat patrols. Whenever I have been there it has been so relaxed I have only ever seen them play basketball, (nice posting if you can get it)!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mabul Island Safe?

Thanks again - I do appreciate your response as I have been a bit worried! We're staying at the Water Bungalows, and now I'm getting really excited - 4 months to go!!!

Best wishes, Sam