We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Hi,

We will be travelling around Borneo this March and April and would be grateful if anyone could provide any current information on the situation regarding obtaining a 60 day Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu.

We have read some posts, but they are rather old. Some suggest it is possible to obtain one the same day and others say possibly the following day.

Also is the cost of $45 correct and are US$ the only payment method? I seem to also recall that I read somewhere that the dollars had to be no older than 3 years? If so where on earth do you obtain them (if you aren't from the US etc).

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Hi,

this 2 links maybe able to help you:

balistarisland.com/Bali-Information/Indonesi…

www.learn4good.com/travel/indonesia_visa.htm

Nickie

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Hi,

Thanks so much for the links. They are informative.

However, sadly they are of no use to us.

The first link provides the email address for th KK embassy, but this email is no longer in existence. We had already tried it numerous times and all emails have been returned MAILER DAEMON.

I have decided to try via the KL embassy to see if they can help on the KK embassy. But again the web address in your 1st link does not exist anymore.

I have managed to send them a couple of emails but don't hold out much hope.

For your records, I think the correct web address is now

http://www.kbrikualalumpur.org/web/

The second link, again doesn't apply to us, as we are travelling from Kuching up to KK and therefore will not be eligible for a Visa On Arrival, when we cross the border from Tawau (and will have no time there to obtain the visa).

If you have any further help, I would be very grateful

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Contact the Indonesian Embassy in UK. If you are not travelling to March why don't you arrange the visa before you leave?

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Just to update - no replies from the embassy in KL (no surprise there).

The only problem with getting the visa in the UK first is that I'm retired early, but don't yet have a pension. Also my wife is a self employed hairdresser, but doesn't have a solicitor nor accountant. So we will struggle to comply with the requirements, that are stipulated on the UK website............

"8 A recent letter (less than 1 month old) from applicant's employer. If self employed, a confirmation letter from applicant's solicitor, or accountant, or Bank Manager. For a student, submit confirmation letter of attendance from school, college or university. "au pair" or domestic help will have to show employer's passport and submit copy of the said passport and letter from employee. All of the above type of letters must certify the applicant's obligation to return after the visit to Indonesia"

Doesn't even mention being retired?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Ring the Indonesian Embassy in UK and explain that you are retired. I'm sure they will be able to accomdate retired people. I am retired and I have had no trouble getting a visa, abliet not Indonesia as I was still working when I last visited. I visted Vietnam last year and< I suspect they are more stringent with Visa's, I got one for there quite easily through a consulate in Melbourne, although the process took two weeks as I live in a country area and had to use a courier to send my passport to get the visa attached.

6. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 07:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
702 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

@ Chaitanya: OP has already been and returned.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Also the OP was on holidays and probably not the least bit interested in getting a job.

If you are going to do a bit of self promotion, which is against TA rules, at least read posts first.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

Hi,

Yes, we are back and we ended up simply getting the visa in the UK before we left. Slightly more expensive, but it took all the problems of having to trail around KK and paying for taxi fares to the embassy there and back twice.

We both ave accounts with Lloyds TSB and my wife took our statements to her local branch where the manager wrote us a covering letter - no problems, getting the 60 day visa.

10. Re: Obtaining an Indonesian Visa in Kota Kinabalu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 10:17