We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Hello everyone,

We are 4 young ladies planning a trip to Sabah. I have been trawling through the internet trying to find the cheapest places to book tours and excursions and they seem quite expensive.

Obviously we want to see as much as we can in 3 weeks and get some relaxing in aswell. We would be happy to go on tours for parts of the journey. Is it possible to fin dcheaper tours and excursions once in Sabah or is it best just to pre-book things on the internet?

Any opinions or information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sian

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Dear Sian,

The best way to experience Sabah without spending over-the-top is by staying with the locals, via homestay.

The homestay programme in Sabah connects homestay operators in various parts of the vast state. Thus, you need not confine yourself to just one spot, rather, allow you to prebook at several homestays. Each district offer you mainstream tourist spots & off-the-beaten-track local highlights.

Check in with Evelyn Masudal (www.go2homestay.com/penampang-homestay/) & enjoy the true Sabah!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Which 'sights' do you really want to see?

If you could be more specific, you will get more help :)

You can do many things independently without the need for a tour - which will save you money.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

If you're gonna spend 3 weeks in sabah, you ought to consider renting a vehicle for all your travelling needs. Mind you that transportation in sabah is not so developed esp. if you want to move around at your own pace. With that you can really enjoy all that sabah has to offer. There are many places to see and things to do outside KK town. Some of the places you should visit is the mt. Kinabalu park, sandakan, keningau, mesilau basin etc.

london
Level Contributor
963 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Hi there Sian

Whetehr or not it is cheaper when you get to Sabah depends on so many variables , such as local school holidays , European holidays , Australian holidays , how many people are booked into a particular place to stay.

The following definitely need to be pre boooked at any time : climbing Mt Kinabalu , visiting Turtle Island and diving or snorkelling in Sipadan. Beach lodges around KK , Sepilok and possibly the Kinabatangan River may be OK to book when you are there. From what I can remember in 2008 , walk in rates weren't much lower than pre-booked. It's a remote area and not as developed as say parts of Thailand.

Apart from the mountain , which I didn't do, I would say that Sepilok , Kinabatangan River , if you can the Danum valley and Sipadan are unmissable and you will see wildlife , in many cases, unique to Borneo. Give yourself plenty of time to see orangutans re they are soo adooorable , particularly the babies.

Have a wonderful time.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

Thank you everybody, I wasn't expecting such a quick response! I will definalty take on some of your advice.

Many thanks,

Sian

6. Re: Cheapest way to see the sights of Sabah.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:16